What were these used for??? (NON DUG )

tokenhead

Feb 14, 2006
Erie,PA.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everybody,
I found these wooden scissors in a run down shack while MD'ing & bottle hunting.I have had them around 3yrs.and always wondered what the may have been used for..electrical?,ANY HELP will be greatly appreciated...HH ALL !!!
SIZE APPROX:12IN. Long,Appears to be ealy rivet to hold together...

Attachments

• Picture 1995.jpg
    Picture 1995.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 91
  • Picture 1998.jpg
    Picture 1998.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 94
  • Picture 2019.jpg
    Picture 2019.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 110

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Caveman salad tongs? Im going with Paleopilot although I have never seen one like it..

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:

Attachments

• tongs wool.jpg
    tongs wool.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
Upvote 0

taz42o

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2008
Ohio
Caveman salad tongs? Im going with Paleopilot although I have never seen one like it..
Yes and Ive been accused of being cave man-ish before. If you search wooden pliers the first and best match you see are salad tongs. I dont see those small v shaped teeth used on a round fuse.

Upvote 0

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wonder if they could be a Tenplate, for making the real Tongs/Scissors :dontknow:...Cool.

SS

Upvote 0

Paleopilot

Dec 4, 2012
South Dakota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
THATS IT!!! Gotta get it solved...Thank you! HH ALL!!!
Although they are very similar to early fuse pullers, the possibility that they were for something else still exists. They could have been used to dislodge "swallowed" fishhooks, or even something used around a spinning wheel. Don't mark it solved yet. Too many possibilities out there still. :icon_thumleft:

Upvote 0

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.
I see a fair number of laundry tongs, not that this would explain to us "why the notched jaw?"
I'd somewhat wondered that if these were made by the user, as looks at least possible, maybe woodworking was his thing and they were used for keeping his fingers away from the blade. This is probably entirely wrong, but stemmed from my first thought that the notched jaw looks similar to the notched block of wood used in woodworking to push a board past a blade on a table saw... Their not beefy enough for that, but maybe detail work on a band saw.
Even as I type I myself doubt it, but at least I'm done rambling now... Whew! :tongue3:
Oh, except to say that all of the above guesses seem possible as well.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Archeodeb

Nov 3, 2012
SW Missouri
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see a fair number of laundry tongs, not that this would explain to us "why the notched jaw?"
I'd somewhat wondered that if these were made by the user, as looks at least possible, maybe woodworking was his thing and they were used for keeping his fingers away from the blade. This is probably entirely wrong, but stemmed from my first thought that the notched jaw looks similar to the notched block of wood used in woodworking to push a board past a blade on a table saw... Their not beefy enough for that, but maybe detail work on a band saw.
Even as I type I myself doubt it, but at least I'm done rambling now... Whew! :tongue3:
Oh, except to say that all of the above guesses seem possible as well.

I am inclined to agree with the laundry tongs or an electrical use. Laundry tongs because 1. soapy laundry is slippery, and 2. dye-baths react badly to some metals (hence the need for either a. notches, or b. wood), but electrical use -- like for holding a live wire on an electric fence while repairing or repositioning it -- would also make sense because the wood would not conduct as easily. The notches would grip it very well. I don't think they are a template/pattern because they would not be assembled if that was the case.

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Yes and Ive been accused of being cave man-ish before. If you search wooden pliers the first and best match you see are salad tongs. I dont see those small v shaped teeth used on a round fuse.
Yes they do look like salad tongs but I just cant imagine a frontier family using this crude device to toss their salad. A little crude but I guess a real possibility.
Are you thinking more modern salad tongs? I was assuming it was old.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
What was the age of the bottles found? Are the teeth broken on one side? Is that remains of black paint?

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread