What where considered the coins of the original 13 colonies

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Rolling Rock, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, lots of folks have found quite a few coins pertaining to the early colonies. The Red Book of US Coins now has a small section in it of coins used in the Americas before the constitution was put in place.

I have dug over the years Spanish silver coins in 1/2, 1, 2, 4 and 8 Reale denominations. They were legal tender here until about 1853, when congress made use of them illegal. Spanish coins are some of the most common pre 1787 coins to find. Sometimes you can find a 1/2 blanca, a small denomination Spanish coin or some in the maravedis series. They were made out of hammered copper.

British halfpennies and farthings are much more common than even the Spanish coins I listed. Lots of home places had a halfpenny or two and lost them. Most are from the reigns of William and Mary, one of the oldest found, George I, II and III.

There were some silver coins (British) that occasionally turn up but they are much harder to get. Also British Gold Guineas sometimes show up.

An occasional French colonial issue is discovered, but rarely. The same with Lion Daadler from the Netherlands. I only know of a few ever found.

On extremely old sites people have found coins from the reign of Elizabeth I, and sometimes James I. Some other items it is possible to find are the Machin mills coppers, I don't think I have ever found one, Woods Hibernia coppers and Rose Americana coppers. All nice stuff, and hard to get. The Massachusetts Pine and Oak tree shillings and sixpence coins are found in the northeast, and sometimes as far south as Virginia. I wish I could have found one of them.

So, yes, there are a lot of different types you can theoretically find, but you have to get on a very old site to do it.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Found this..:icon_thumright:

Attachments

• IMG_4554.jpg
    IMG_4554.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_4555.jpg
    IMG_4555.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_4556.jpg
    IMG_4556.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG_4557.jpg
    IMG_4557.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 24
OP
OP
49er12

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Rolling Rock, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks terry

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread