🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I don't know if there is a best detector. Some work better than others in different environments (soil, beach, clay, etc.). To hunt the clay you talk about, if it is anything like in Virginia you can only use certain machines. I believe all manufacturers have machines that will work for you. I use the MXT PRO and really like it. Is it the best? Probably not but it works for me.

Swartzie

Mar 15, 2009
Tuscarawas County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If you're mostly relic hunting and digging every signal then that sounds like a job for a Tesoro Tejon. I love relic hunting with mine. In all metal mode it will pick up everything from the very small to the deep. Not sure about you're clay issue. Whatever machine you decide, if you do decide you want an all metal mode just make sure it is a true all metal and not just zero discrimination. There is a difference. http://www.akmining.com/forums/showthread.php/722-All-Metal-versus-Zero-Discrimination If there's something in the ground, an all metal machine will find it.

-Swartzie

CWnut

May 9, 2003
E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Tesoro tigershark----Tesoro Conquistador Umax------Fisher FX-3----Master Hunter CX-Plus w/ depth multiplier
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i'm not bothered by it here but i think in the red clay you will need an adjustable ground balance. The tejon mentioned earlier would work as would the vaquero. There are other manufacturers that make machines with adjustable ground balance that should serve you well. Just make sure you learn to gb correctly before you go afield, incorrect gb can give horrible results

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Foster

Foster

Jan 19, 2011
Columbus, ms
Detector(s) used
White's Prism III, White's TRX Bullseye
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks! I just feel I am missing a lot with the one I have. Works great in regular soil, but the dense clay, I get crazy signals. Need a better one just for this situation.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread