What would Braddock do?

Oct 1, 2018
Western PA, Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everybody. After moving out to western PA about a year ago I've been researching the early history of the area. Things like old forts, trading posts, and of course Braddock's trail. He actually marched right through the town I live in now, but most of his camp sites are supposed to be on private property. While searching for an unrelated site I managed to get permission on a decently sized chunk of land near Madison, PA. This would be right near Braddock's "Thicketty Run" Encampment (Sometimes called Camp 16, sometimes Camp 17, and sometimes "Hillside Camp"). I know the modern day locations of these camps are just rough approximations, so I'm hoping I can get lucky and discover that the camp was on the land where I have permission. There is (or was) a road marker for the camp here: 40.223839, -79.648497. So my question is this: what kind of place would an army like Braddock's want to encamp? Would it be on top of a hill? How close would it be to water? Etc. I'll try to use the ideal terrain for such an encampment to get a better idea of where the men would have camped. And if it isn't on the land I have permission on, then that's just too bad.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread