Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
obs scraper a.jpg obs scraper b.jpg
its obviously been worked but its so thick and messy I have a hard time calling it a tool but I thought maybe someone would recognize it

Attachments

• obs scraper.jpg
    obs scraper.jpg
    924.8 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
Upvote 0

redbeardrelics

Jan 3, 2014
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, (Ace 250 spare)
Primary Interest:
Other
I would call that a worked core, that other tool pieces have been removed from, or possibly a small wedge for splitting wood, or maybe a crude scraper or cutting tool. HH

filmiracl

Nov 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd imagine it is more than a piece of core and is some type of crude tool with a worked edge like that.

mission

Aug 7, 2013
iowa
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
although many will disagree, I have a nice collection of pieces like that and some are quite nice so I don't believe they are thrown away cores. by comparing all I have I see to much consistency, some nicely made some crude but all have a pattern that cant be denied. I believe they are a type of hatchet or generic term chopper. back side always flat, bulb to the side, and the obvious flakes to make a edge, the bulb I believe gives it weight. I think they were used as a throwing axe for small game, again my theory after looking at LOTS of these and seeing a pattern that is always there. it may be a "core" but it wasn't wasted it was given a final shape.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its broken so we may never know.

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Id say crude scraper, possibly a core. It could have been both. It looks a little too sharp to me to just be a core piece though.

OP
OP
Older The Better

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the core idea is very possible and I would say a good observation but mission has a very intriguing take
I also have a handful of consistently shaped flint that the more pieces I find I think there is some kind of tool so I know where you are coming from, thanks for the help

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions