What would you call this necklace

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unfortunately there's no Hallmark. No name. It is sterling silver. Double hinged. Has a nice orange opal stone. Weight of 136 g. I believe it's native American made. And it looks like an Indian coming out of an ear of corn holing a scroll with a small piece of gold on it and an opal I don't know. Any help is appreciated! I know it's a choker I just don't know what to describe this as, like a corn goddess?

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1487042340.014567.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1487042357.509849.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1487042394.606662.jpg

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A-Maze-ing!

SDIceMan

Nov 12, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
'The Corn Maiden' or 'Native American Maize Goddess'.

From Google: "The Corn Maiden is represented in jewelry and table fetishes as a woman with a body shaped like an ear of corn. She may or may not be wearing a headdress."
and
"Each Maiden brings one seed of corn that is nurtured with love like that given to a child, that this one seed would sustain the entire tribe forever."

Seems like that description fits with what's depicted in your piece, with the single corn-colored stone.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
'The Corn Maiden' or 'Native American Maize Goddess'.

From Google: "The Corn Maiden is represented in jewelry and table fetishes as a woman with a body shaped like an ear of corn. She may or may not be wearing a headdress."
and
"Each Maiden brings one seed of corn that is nurtured with love like that given to a child, that this one seed would sustain the entire tribe forever."

Seems like that description fits with what's depicted in your piece, with the single corn-colored stone.

For the sake of Valentine's Day and the fact that you found that I just want to say I love ya! Thank you very much for putting your time towards helping. It's so ugly and awesome at the same time. But I'm very happy to find out what it is. It's pretty darn unique! I have no idea what to ask for it but that's OK. It's amazing. I love this stuff it's just so amazing! All right, enough's mushy stuff. Thanks again though!

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What is the stupid number you would price? I want to do some more research on it but I don't have a lot of time at the moment. And being that it's not signed it may never find anything else out about it. Would you go conservative at like $300 or go a stupid at like $3000? There's honestly nothing to compare it to... I think I'm going to price it stupid for now. Heck, It was $14...

Jayers

Jun 28, 2014
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Just starting out with a BH
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I certainly wouldn't take less than 1.20 per gram on the piece (my rule of thumb is to never accept less than 2x melt on any sterling jewelry. If I can't get that I pass on it or take it back to the coin shop and scrap it for more pieces - this looks like you can easily sell for 2x to 4x). I'd price it at at least $2 to $4 per gram to start. Maybe with an auction starting at $2 a gram and see where it goes?

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do some careful research on this piece! If that's a real piece of fire opal value /\ Never seen anything similar in my books or on a table. No markings on it? Making me think it's a custom piece! Do some good research my friend, it'd be a shame to sell a $4000 piece for around melt or worse see the jeweler doing the happy dance as you leave with your $40.

DFW_THer

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2008
Coinslaughtersville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett Carrot Glued To A Stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dude, I'd love to watch that thing, let me know when you list it, if you feel like it. I like the fact that it doesn't have any marks. One of a kind. There are probably a handful of collectors out there who would know who to attribute it to and it is probably worth 4 figures+

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dude, I'd love to watch that thing, let me know when you list it, if you feel like it. I like the fact that it doesn't have any marks. One of a kind. There are probably a handful of collectors out there who would know who to attribute it to and it is probably worth 4 figures+

I think my membership expired so I don't want to make a link and get in trouble. But my seller name is
Dadshobbyroom2. Where this one is located.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do some careful research on this piece! If that's a real piece of fire opal value /\ Never seen anything similar in my books or on a table. No markings on it? Making me think it's a custom piece! Do some good research my friend, it'd be a shame to sell a $4000 piece for around melt or worse see the jeweler doing the happy dance as you leave with your $40.

Agreed.

DFW_THer

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2008
Coinslaughtersville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett Carrot Glued To A Stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Beach, love your items in the coin/jewelry store. Good luck on those big pieces!

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm thinking more of a Mexican made piece then native American. That may be a Mexican fire opal?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread