What Would You DO If You Found A Million Dollar Hoard Or Lost Treasure

mfitzy111

Mar 6, 2011
NEPA
Detector(s) used
garrett ACE350 (traded off!), minelab E-TRAC, AT-Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
no clue man. I'd quietly give myself a raise and pay myself out of the proceeds of the stash- just like a job, keep low on the radar and quit my day job to MD all the time /drive all over the USA of as a gypsy in my new-to-me RV (used one under 10k-and paid for in cash!)... :laughing9: I think the bottle comment was about something someone else said to him. not the main topic of 'what would you do' but it's all good. :headbang:

Chocadog

Feb 3, 2010
Roanoke, Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola, Minelab Safari, Garrett GTI2000, Garrett250
It would depend on what the treasure was! If it was gold or coins I would dispose of it slowly and the same thing if it were diamonds etc., I sure would not tell a sole about it though. I would go out and buy another detector the exact same model as the one that I found the treasure with, in fact I might buy two of them, just in case they stop making that model. After that I would detect as many beaches on the East coast as was allowable by law and then do the pan handle of Florida and Alabama beaches, then return the same way I came.

eolson3

Apr 11, 2011
I can assure you, I would never find such a thing. Thats exactly what I would do.

littlebill31

Jul 2, 2011
Southern Delaware
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
If I found it, then was able to spend it free and clear, I would buy as much land as possible and leave it all alone. And buy a Vincent Black Shadow.

Seamuss

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2009
Found under a rock, in Washington State.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Scorpion, Garrett pro pointer
I might be one lucky Leprechaun, but that would be really dreaming above and beyond my "Lucky charms" bracelet ways.
But I could live with a find like that. I'd have to wash up after that "Oh ____" moment

jonmich

Greenie
Feb 20, 2009
Gregory,Michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Well, A million wouldnt be quite enough so I would be out the very next day looking for another million with the detector. I figure two million would do. Inflation, dont ya know.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
fill my gas tank on my Jimmy

& If i have enough left
get an Oil change.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
perform my patriotic duty to help the country by spending it. Frank

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
jeff of pa said:

& If i have enough left
get an Oil change.

That Jimmy sure does go through a lot of gas but a million dollar gas rebate should get you pretty far... :wink:

NJ

HuntNdig

Oct 6, 2011
North Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did win a million dollars yesterday!! But i closed out of the window anyways :laughing9:

I wouldn't say a word to ANYONE EVER!

Treasure finder

Apr 4, 2006
Los Angeles
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium, Compass Gold Scanner, Maxi Pulse, Gardner with a 3 foot loop, PDF1000, & Dowsing rods,
I would hide it in various places around your yard. Then you could go detecting
every day and always find some goodies.
Rich

s.c.shooter

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2008
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov- AT PRO - AT Max - Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My hats off to Paratrooper. I hope he finds a million dollars!

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
jeff of pa said:

& If i have enough left
get an Oil change.

You forgot That Your Brakes Are Going out Too, :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: Chug Bad Chug Bad Bad Chug

apixelintime

Greenie
Oct 5, 2011
Okay - one million - not really enough to really retire on, but if you think about it - if you had a 50k a year desk job than that would be like 20 years worth of pay... So selling it off slowly might be a best bet... Telling no one. Would need to find something to do to justify "not working" for 20 years, but pull in extra income and covering up the 'how you seem to have cash and not work...' aspect of your new life...

I think I would start buying abandoned storage units... Selling the contents... Selling a coin or 2 from time to time...

"This unit had these 10 coins in it..." "Wow - look at these coins I found in this unit..."

E-bay all of that crap... Lather/rinse/repeat...

Best way to hide a body is to bury it underneith another body...

maipenrai

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2010
Thailand/Europe/California
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I read some of these answers before, but not all. So here goes! Most seem to say that they wouldn't tell anyone, well I am quite sure that is impossible. You wouldn't tell your wife? BS!! She would tell her sister , and her sister would tell everyone!! Its impossible to keep a secrete like that. What would you do, just pay your morgage and car payments? Hahaha, Why even look for a treasure, if you are not going to use it? Most seem to fear the gov, but the the relatives will have a lot of good ideas on where to use the money.

I would spend it, and be happy while it lasted. Just spend it and be happy you found something. Going around from to coin dealer to dealer is not too smart, they are all connected, and know what is going on in the coin world. Soon your smart plan would crumble, and you might even have the police after you, thinking you stole the coins, or gold or whaterver. What do you do then? "No, I only dug it up!" back to square one!

If its a small find, just spend it!! If its a big find, then get a lawyer that can help you with this kind of problem. Does it cost money? sure it does, but so did your detector.

YOU cannot hide a million dollars!! Buy a nice car, with cash? Dont worry, the feds will be around to ask where you got the money. Car dealers have to report these kind of cash transactions, at least in some states.

Have fun with your million!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions