What would you do?

Paddywagn

Greenie
Jan 20, 2009
St. Peters MO
Detector(s) used
M-6
Hi all!

I have a small dilemma and I'd like to hear what you all think I should do.
A while back I found a HS ring and tracked down the owner. I then tried to make arrangements to return the ring to him.

I didn't ask for a reward nor would I have accepted anything from him except a short post here or an email telling how the ring had become lost.

The dilemma is my wife has contacted him 3 times, given him my cell number and told him to call me so I can bring him the ring but he still won't call me or reply to my wife's messages. Yes, he's getting them as my wife contacted him thru his Face Book account which he acknowledged receipt.

Well, now what the heck do I do with the ring?
1. Put it in my box of "cool but I can't bear to get rid of finds"
2. Pawn it.
3. Bury it in a park somewhere and let another MD'er deal with it!

Here's the original thread: http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,282116.msg2016086.html#msg2016086

My inclination is #1 in the hope that one day he decides he wants it back. On one hand it was really cool to find the ring & research it's ownership but on the other his seeming apathy is frustrating.

Thanks all for looking at this and good luck hunting!!
Gary

If I give someone a call to pickup something thats been worked on, say a PC, ect and they don't, Then after 90 days it's mine to do what ever I wish with. If it's silver, sell it for scrap. After 90 days.

Definitely #1. It will be well worth having to get rid of him the day he decides he wants it.

Go with #1...you have made several attempts to have him contact you to return the ring, if he can't call you to set up a meet to pick it up that is his problem, I personally would not persue it any farther.....

Do #1.

And if he contacts you in the future asking for it. Send him a bill for your time.

I have the same dilemna. I found a girl's class ring in 2004. Called her parents house 6 times and left message on answering machine before getting hold of her dad on phone. He said she was at college about 75 miles away. He gave me her cell number which I left messages on 8 times. NO RESPONSE! I figured it isn't important to her but still have it in my goodies box. One day she may decide she wants it. Hopefully, she remembers my name and city. HH all.

Ed

this is just my 2 cents .....I'd call 1 last time an say....I've tried contacting you numerous times trying to return this to you , if I do not hear back from you within 48 hours from the time of this message , If I do not hear from you by then I will assume you do not want this ring an I will no longer try to contact you further .

then its up to you if its so important to you that you want to keep it fine .
if you decide to toss it in the sale can great .you can now do either without feeling bad or having any regrets.

If you have his telephone number, you may be able to find his address and just mail it to him.
( reverse phone look up). If the number you have is a cell phone, you may not get a good hit for the address.

http://www.whitepages.com/reverse-lookup

Option two is to just keep the ring if the owner appears not to want to make an effort for you to be able to return it.

Ray S ECenFL

I'd go with a combination of #1 plus one last message informing him that if he doesn't respond within so many days I will feel that I'm free to pawn the ring, sell it, or whatever.
luvsdux

Paddywagn said:
Well, now what the heck do I do with the ring?

Let the owner know that after X amount of time, you will begin charging storage fees. :thumbsup:

Or you could turn it in to the cops as a "found" item, and after 30/60/90 (whatever) days, if still unclaimed, it will be legally yours (on the record)!!!

Get ring back from cops, sell for scrap! 8)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back