What would you do?

999digger

Aug 31, 2010
Wisconsin
I recently got 1 box of dimes and two boxes of nickels.($450)I estimated the most I possibly took out for finds was five dollars because the dime box was a skunk. The amount of money that I got back was $441.45. There is absolutely no way I had nine dollars in face for my finds. Has anyone else ever had this problem? I know that dimes do not get counted as pennies because I have done a couple of their penny bags and never found a dime. Any thoughts?
HH

Upvote 0

kd5txx

Nov 5, 2009
Lexington KY
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
As much as it bothers you, I would not say anything. If it's a good place to dump, don't rock the boat. If there are other places I'd try them, but still not say anything and use it for a backup. I'm not downplaying it. I can use every dollar I have, but the bank will probably be more bothered by a complaint over $5ish.

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
999digger said:
I know that dimes do not get counted as pennies because I have done a couple of their penny bags and never found a dime. Any thoughts?
HH

Don't know what kind of coin counting machine you use, but I gave up dimes real fast because when I dumped many were being counted as pennies. Others here have said the same thing about dimes being counted as pennies.

Maybe you should consider halves instead.

Jim

StevoCBR

Apr 19, 2010
Detector(s) used
a piece, fisher f75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to one of the downsides of CRH. I often am shorted a few bucks, i have mentioned it to a teller a few times when i dump only dimes and it claims i had 30 penny's. I agree don't rock the boat and and i just chalk it up as cost of the hobby. sucks but hopefully the silver haul makes up for it. Good luck!

alpha105

May 19, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I stopped dimes after a $30 loss.......banks wont work with you unless u searched them inside the bank.....

dave5710

Mar 7, 2010
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
T-2 Garrett Pro Pointer
Are you sure they haven't started charging a 1 percent fee? My dump bank is usually spot on with my count. One trip last month they gave me credit for an extra $6.35. The following trip I asked if they were short that day and they said "no". Keep a close count on your next dump and see what happens, it could be a fluke.

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Ok.. this is what you do..
I've been shorted on dimes more often than not. I've had boxes where I've lost a couple bucks on dimes alone. For some reason they usually short the rolls more than rolls that have extra dimes. I got tired of it so I bring in my scale and open the box and do CRH on the spot at the bank. I find the ones that are short and trade them for new rolls from the tellers which would provide extra chances to CRH. I told them several times that the rolls are short. It's the sorting facility's fault. The scale doesn't lie and is one of the most valuable tools for CRH.

If the whole batch from them comes back short.. tell them you weighed all the rolls and they are accurrate. That happened to me only once and I protested it. They restored the funds to the account.
HH

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I search alot of dimes. There isn't anything more rediculous. I may find a few hundred silver over the course of a year, but there is no profit. The fun makes up for it.

OP
OP
999digger

999digger

Aug 31, 2010
Wisconsin
dave5710 said:
Are you sure they haven't started charging a 1 percent fee? My dump bank is usually spot on with my count. One trip last month they gave me credit for an extra $6.35. The following trip I asked if they were short that day and they said "no". Keep a close count on your next dump and see what happens, it could be a fluke.
I dumped about $500 in dimes at this bank about a week ago and had no problem. I do not think there is a fee because I am a member. It could of just been a one time deal because he had to take the machine appart.

Electronova

Mar 27, 2010
Edinboro, Pennsylvania
I put only halves and pennies in the machines, the rest I re-roll and deposit. It doesn't take too much effort to open a roll nicely and slide the coins back in after checking them, and it will save you from accumulating losses in the long run. Also, banks don't get mad about depositing large quantities of rolled coins, just as long as they aren't halves.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well...Just yesterday I dumped some dimes, and only 3 of them read as cents, so it wasnt too bad,

but to be honest..I get ALOT of cents to look thru..and out of 25 dollars worth i find at least 10 dimes in the rolls..some rolls have 2 plus dimes in them, and i recently picked up a few customer rolls and found that one roll had 4 pennies and the rest dimes..Again i know this is a Customer roll not from a machine..but the others are from machines..they are in paper rolls, but they are from the coin counters

blkcwbyhat

Dec 3, 2010
the dime shortage would not explain the 5 cent issue,unless they were counted as penny's. he got back $$$.45....were did the .05 come from?

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As many of you know, I have been through literally tons of change of all denominations and I find that pennies and dimes are the most frequently miscounted coins. Dimes first, pennies second. I assume this is due to their somewhat similar size and weight. I have also noticed that typically dimes are the first type of coin to be miscounted when a machine goes out of calibration.

The type of coin counter has a great deal to do with how accurate the count is which is why I bring almost all my dumps to the bank(s) I do. Some machine(s) do terribly with certain coins.

However, since I mainly do bags of coins, I end up dealing with the count being off on 95% of the bags I do, usually just a few cents and not worth the hassle. Some high and some low and more or less they average out. Of all the bags I do, the one that is most frequently wrong is dimes. Unless the bag is off by more than $2-$3 (up or down) I never bother to say anything to my pickup bank and just assume the ups and downs will average out. However, more than that and I inform them that the bag was off. If it was short, I don't expect compensation. If extra, I offer to pay it back (I have gotten an extra $90+ a couple times and just the other day I got an extra $50+ in dimes). So far, I have always been told just keep the extra when it occurs as they assume it balances out with the shortages (which it does). I typically tell them, though, so they can have their machine fixed as customers are being shorted (or overpaid) if the count is wrong and they appreciate my honesty (which I believe helps them to continue selling bags to me).

That is at my pick up bank.

At my dump bank, I use self serve coin machines and I usually cash in dimes first and make sure the total is approximately correct (again I don't complain if a couple dimes were counted as pennies). Once in awhile, I have noticed that a high number of dimes has been counted as pennies. If the amount I feel is sufficiently off (more than $1-$2), I stop print the receipt for the dimes and continue with any other dumping I have to do and get a second receipt for that. When I am done, I mention what happened to the teller and show them the receipts. I have never demanded to be compensated, but have suggested if there is anyway to make this right as I know their machine is miscalibrated and to this point about 90% of the time I have gotten them to pay for the miscount (usually its just a couple of dollars, but once it was about $10-$15).

I have also had a couple occasions at a bank that didn't have a self-serve coin counter and I knew the exact amount I had brought in. Once it was halves, once it was nickels. In the case of the halves, it was only a a couple dollars short and I was still at the teller window so I asked about it and I think the teller got frustrated due to other things going on and that it was at closing time such that she just gave me the benefit of the doubt and added the $2 I said it was off. With the nickels, I realized after I left and was thinking about it that I felt like the count was $10 short on $130 or so in nickels. I called the bank later and spoke to the teller who had helped me. After a little explanation as to why I believed the count was wrong and why I was pretty sure on how much I had brought in, she either reran the bags or waited until they were counted by the armored service. Either way, they validated that the nickels were indeed off by approximately how much I said (plus a little if I remember correctly) and she put that credit into my account.

I know I have been fortunate in getting my money back when the machines don't work as they should, but I have also never demanded compensation for it or been upset and just assumed any offage was part of the game we all play. I personally believe that mentioning you believe the machine is off is not a no-no, but since it is a he-said, she-said kinda deal in which there is no easy way to verify who is right, all you can do is ask if there is something they can do to make it right, but don't press too hard if they say "No" as all you are giong to do is rub people the wrong way for a couple of dollars. If it happens continually, you always have the alternative to let your feet do the talking and bring your business to another bank.

One last note, if you are going to complain when the machine shorted you $2+ counting dimes, do you also tell them when the machine counts gave you $2+ in extras when counting pennies? I would hope so.

dave5710

Mar 7, 2010
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
T-2 Garrett Pro Pointer
The teller having to take the machine apart, may have something to do with it. Something was probably jammed that cause it to stop working. An odd penny or nickel could be caught somewhere, and knocked loose on the next dump (yours) is why the count is a little off. I guess it is the cost of doing business. At my dump bank they told me that lint, causes them more problems than anything else.

fiddycent

Oct 23, 2008
I took a thirty-plus dollar hit at one of my dump banks. I'd had two, three, four dollar shorts but this was too big to ignore. Complained to a teller. Filled out a form to recount the bag currently in the machine. Figured I'd never hear anything about it but eight to ten days later my dump bank called and said the bag was indeed over the amount it was supposed to hold and that they'd deposited the overage into my account as I was the only one who filed a grievance against that particular bag. Turned out to be a $110.00+ deposit. Hmmm...I wondered if I'd found a gig more profitable than CRH. LOL. Nah...a good dump bank is hard to find...but if my dump is 20-30 bucks off again..you can bet I'll fill out that form again. Just my experience.

Good luck and happy CRH.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread