WHATCHACALLIT WITH STARS

jhamner

Dec 2, 2008
I found this item today in an area that has produced several civil war artifacts. At first I thought it was a (very heavy) top to a ladies purse. I just stuffed it in my pocket and kept on searching. When I got home and started cleaning it up, stars started appearing! Does anyone know if this is part of a civil war relic--maybe Texas or Mississippi? It is brass, about 5 1/2" tall, and about 4" wide. It has small "pully wheels" at each end. Any help greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• 100_0899.jpg
    100_0899.jpg
    175.6 KB · Views: 653
  • 100_0898.jpg
    100_0898.jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 649
Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

jhamner

Dec 2, 2008
OldNBroken said:
riding spurs?
Not sure...I think the span from end to end is too wide to fit around heel (5 1/2" from pulley to pulley), but what do I know? Thanks for your reply--you may be right!

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
neat relic :icon_thumleft: MR TUFF

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice relic! :icon_thumleft:

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very interesteing piece. It surely looks from the period. My first thought was a spur but after a closer look I ruled that out. The eyelet at the top makes me think that it was used to lift something. Artillery shell I think would be too large for this size. I have checked my civil war books and I see nothing even close. I am sure that there are many on here trying to identify this and I will be checking back because now I am curious.

OP
OP
J

jhamner

Dec 2, 2008
cracker said:
are the pulley wheels slotted like this=
Yes--although bent in a few places, the pulleys are configured exactly like your picture. I worked on them a little last night and actually got them rotating. Thanks for your response and also to ALL who have taken the time to make a comment--I REALLY appreciate it!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread