Whats a 3 Ringer worth

gmanlight

Jun 17, 2007
MA NH seacoast
Detector(s) used
what ever works
I have looked on Forums and seen bullets for one or two hundred dollars.
I just want a basic one and does not have to be perfect.
A piece of history that i would love to have but i don't think
i will dug one any time soon .
I live in a place that is about as old as any in the country but
not much activity like that around here.
Thanks Mike

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have quite a few spencers if you are interested but I have never sold any, so I don't know what they are worth,, BUT I have to say that I am appalled at the thought of 100 or 200 dollars, they must be super rare ones,, think they have General Shermans name etched on em?
Anyway I will see what I can find out.. there is a very nice fellow north of here with a little shop that I am sure would be glad to sell and send to you. PM me and I will find his card for you if you want.

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow. Hundred dollars for a bullet. I am not familiar with any costing that much. I have been in antique stores and seen 3 ringers in a bucket for $3 each. I don't know how much they cost as I usually don't sell my finds but I would guess that is a about right. You also might find them on eBay as well. Please don't pay too much for them as they are not very expensive.

OP
OP
gmanlight

gmanlight

Jun 17, 2007
MA NH seacoast
Detector(s) used
what ever works
Thank for the info Dave .
Thanks TH , yea thats more what i was thinking.
I have no plans on dropping two bills on a bullet but i did
see some selling online for that.

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No problem gman. Tell everyone if it works out well.

Roger D

Jan 13, 2011
Hi. I live in VA and have dug lots of CW bullets. I would be happy to send you a few if you like. Email me if you are interested.

knack4iron

Greenie
Dec 2, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Whats a 3 Ringer worth----Long Post---

We used to dig them and every one we'd dig up we say "well its another quarter" But now because of the N/S Traders Price Guide everything has gone through the roof even if it is common. We always thought the N/S Priceguide ruined the hobby when it came out. You started seeing alot more of them in the late 80's and early 90's. The guides were $20 then, now $39. Usually the prices were set by different persons who excelled in that particular item or collected those particular pieces like frame buckles, US buckles, conf. buttons, shells and so on. The only problem with that was if you collected confed. frames and had a box full like the guy I knew, then you'd stick a high price on them causing them to double in price. Kinda crooked if you asked me and alot of collectors thought so too. And my last trip to Franklin TN Show there was alot and I mean alot of US plates on every table for crazy prices, but they weren't moving.They aren't selling too many US buckles for $250 that was bought 10 years ago $125.we would sell buckles for $55-$65. Theres just millions out there.More than you realize.Dealers would like you to think everything is ultra rare but then their trying to sell you their wares.When it came to pricing some dealers would say " My stuff is rare, your stuff is crap.So now lets deal."

But back to your question: Whats a 3 ringer worth? About $.75-$1.00 for drops in todays reality and a little less in bulk due to buying a bunch at one time. There's millions and millions and millions of them out there. They are common. THe only $100 bullets were Whitworths, Collided and some Explosives and some real oddities. They reason because the outrageous and off the wall prices is due to eBay(were people are willing to pay more than its really worth which is stupid) and the internet websites catering to people in New York and places like Canada or California where little to no CW activity took place.

We used to set up at shows and buy and sell at Civil War shows for about 5 years in the late 80's and early 90's. Went to everyone that was scheduled like Nashville,Memphis,Atlanta even some down in Louisiana. We would buy gallon pickle jars with assorted minnies for $25 with a couple hundred in them.

As we once would say, "Theres an a$$ for every seat in the theater." hahaha

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread