What's a good detector

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your question is asked at least a dozen times a week. If your choice is narrowed down to those two, go to your local dealer and talk turkey. Hopefully you will be able to hold and swing them both and make a more informed decision on what fits you best.

BTW...Welcome from NC

Last edited:

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Kinda get the feeling you've got around 8 to 9 hundred to spend so it depends on what you prefer to hunt. Soil mineralization plays a little part. Please buy a machine that you can manually ground balance and one that has threshold setting. If you are a little older,the lighter the better because of time spent swinging.Search detector reviews on non dealer sites as most will have the pros and cons of each you choose to review. Buy a premium pinpointed. I would say at least 80% members use the Garrett Carrot. As for detectors, Garrett AT PRO, Fisher F75 LTD(A little higher),Minelab 705, White MXT and a few more. Ask around and go with some guys in your area as they can tell you what works best in your soil. You can get tons of other advice from very good treasure hunters on the forum. Welcome to the club and good luck.

lookingharder

Feb 27, 2015
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master. Garrett AT Gold, Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would first ask myself a few questions. How much do I want to hunt? A few days a week or a few days a month or a few days a year. What do I want to find? Just coins in the park, Gold rings at the beach, or all around relic hunting.
The v3i is a great machine but Iv'e heard it has a pretty good learning curve. I was going to buy one but didn't have the time (hunting 1 or 2 days a month) to use it enough to learn all the features. if all you want to do is get started and find most things that there are a lot of really good detectors for half the price. You are going to have a LOT more fun it you start with something you can just turn on, do a little fine tuning (ground balance, Discriminate) and go hunt. You can always update down the road. Good luck and have fun.

OP
OP
P

Peter1972

Jan 27, 2018
Stoughton mass
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes about 800 and where I live is right out side of Boston I was told that back in the old day it was all farm land

lookingharder

Feb 27, 2015
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master. Garrett AT Gold, Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes about 800 and where I live is right out side of Boston I was told that back in the old day it was all farm land

Look up old census maps from as far back as you can find. They should give you old farm houses, taverns, trading post. You have about 400 years of history around you so there's probably LOTS of great places that cant be seen above ground anymore. Gold luck and keep us posted

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also, you may get a wider range of advice if you post this outside of the Garrett specific forum, because many of the people who post in the brand specific forums are loyal to or only have experience with that brand and may not know enough about other detector brands to give you sound advice. Also, you may want to hold off from starting multiple threads with basically small variations on the same question. It makes it hard for you to integrate the answers you are getting plus it also may result in duplicative advice if people are not aware of similar advice being offered in the parallel thread. Good luck on your quest.

I provided my recommendations to you in your other thread.

BTW this is not a knock against the Garrett forum at all (he has gotten some great advice here) I was just speaking generically about posting a request for general newbie detector advice in ANY brand specific firum.

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello Peter! Metal detectors are like golf clubs. Each is really good at one thing, and may completely suck at others. For instance, the Tesoro Tiger Shark, is built for freshwater hunting and diving. It can detect very small gold and silver targets like earring studs. It weighs more than the Tesoro Compadre, which will do the same thing on land. The Whites V3i costs more than both of those machines combined.

Do some more homework. :occasion14:

3cylbill

Jul 2, 2015
s.tier NY
Detector(s) used
TESORO, MINELAB, WHITES , GARRETT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
for about $800 you could get a vaquaro a pinpointer a good shovel and a super custom pouch a good set of headphones and your... good to go...

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For your first detector, purchase one that is easy to learn and to use. Good hunting and good luck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread