Whats a good metal detector

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tesoro Compadre; Garrett Ace 250

Showtime2385

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2013
NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett AT-Pro, Garrett Pro-pointer-AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tesoro Compadre; Garrett Ace 250

Seriously Terry! The yellow one of these two is a mistake. Terry is dead on with the Compadre though. Great first detector and add in the Garrett Pro Pointer and you will be just a tick over your budget.

Other than the Compadre I would take a Fisher F2 any day over that yellow one. The F2 doesn't look like a toy, sound like a toy, and has been proven very successful.

Another one in your budget would be a Tesoro Silver uMax at the $250 mark and maybe a little better of a deal from one of our forum sponsors.

With any of these three you will be off to a good start and have a quality detector that will bring quick success. Any of these three detectors will pay for themselves in short order if you put a little work into it.

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any of the top name brands in your price range will get you going and introduce you to the game. You will get a bunch of opinions saying this or that, but for every positive their will be someone who dissagrees. Even the yellow one will do fine. A lot of people started with it and found some amazing things.

Ninjafossils

Dec 18, 2012
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Tesoro Compadre
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Seriously Terry! The yellow one of these two is a mistake. Terry is dead on with the Compadre though. Great first detector and add in the Garrett Pro Pointer and you will be just a tick over your budget. Other than the Compadre I would take a Fisher F2 any day over that yellow one. The F2 doesn't look like a toy, sound like a toy, and has been proven very successful. Another one in your budget would be a Tesoro Silver uMax at the $250 mark and maybe a little better of a deal from one of our forum sponsors. With any of these three you will be off to a good start and have a quality detector that will bring quick success. Any of these three detectors will pay for themselves in short order if you put a little work into it.
Sorry but I disagree. I started way way back with a Tesoro machine which was so basic, I'm not sure if I could consider it a detector. (This was actually a compadre, but probably an older model).
For $250, get the Garrett ace 250 and save 120 and buy a pro pointer. It is a fine beginning machine. When you get the feel of it, then you can move on up to bigger game. I've never used the f2, but I'm sure it's also good.

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Compadre is ok if you do not have an EMI problem. If there is an EMI source nearby, it can render the Compadre completely useless.

I'd look for something that has a sensitivity adjustment at least. Fisher F2 is an awesome unit for the price. For $215 you get a great detector, two search coils (8" & 4") plus a pinpointer. Pinpointer may not be the best on the market but it works.
Other detectors worth a look IMNHO would be Teknetics Eurotek Pro or a Tesoro Silver uMax.

CWnut

May 9, 2003
E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Tesoro tigershark----Tesoro Conquistador Umax------Fisher FX-3----Master Hunter CX-Plus w/ depth multiplier
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I knew what it would be like before I ever opened this thread, but I couldn't resist..go with the most machine your budget can afford, nothing less will satisfy you and THEN learn your machine...nuff said

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry but I disagree. I started way way back with a Tesoro machine which was so basic, I'm not sure if I could consider it a detector. (This was actually a compadre, but probably an older model).
For $250, get the Garrett ace 250 and save 120 and buy a pro pointer. It is a fine beginning machine. When you get the feel of it, then you can move on up to bigger game. I've never used the f2, but I'm sure it's also good.

Okay, the yellow one has been successful for many people, can't argue that. BUT it's a lot like riding a moped- it's real fun as long as your friends don't see you!

gusser

Dec 23, 2013
Central Penna
Detector(s) used
copper dowsing rod and a smaller 1 for a pinpointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Most any machine will do nicely if you get familiar with it. I train underground utility locators. Once trained most guys resist switching to different or newer machines because they understand what the familiar machine tells them better than one they don't know. I've used many different machines in the last 30 years and all worked reasonably well. Practice, practice, practice, and you should do fine. Good luck and happy hunting.

Tired Rooster

Nov 6, 2011
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelabs and Tesoros
Several of them....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think that CWnut is correct. Get as much detector as your budget will allow. There are far too many detectors and opinions. My "opinion" is that a Tesoro like the Silver uMax is a fine detector that will not break the bank and is capable of serving you very well. But there are always other factors as well......machines without ground balancing may or may not do well in the ground you are hunting in.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread