What's a GOOD OFFER ?

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
A very close lady friend of my wife and myself asked me to grade if possible a lot of silver dollars (about 75? Morgan's & Peace), which in most cases are AU/MS60+. The Morgan's are as good as you see on TV's Coin Vault show. These coins were part of her fathers collection (he passed away in the early 90's, and her mother recently passed away just this past Dec., at age 92).She wants a fair common man's appraisal of them so that if & when she takes them in to sell, she at least has a fair idea of their grade & Red Books worth. I cannot afford these Silver Dollars since they are grading soooo high, BUT, she also has $24 FV of junk silver (dimes, qtrs, halves) none of which grade very high as to numismatic value. I'm thinking of offering her 8 times face, could possibly go up to 10xFV. She also has $44 FV of 40% junk halves (Kennedys), of which I might offer her 3xFV for them. I will tell her what the total Silver Ounces are involved, and what the current melt value $ is for AG.

My question to you guys is, what do you think is a fair offer to be made on both groups 90% junk & the 40% junks,

She also has about 25-30 ASE's (mostly 1986, 1987), that are in BU condition +/-. Same question here, What's a good offer?, but they are grading at $50-60 a coin as I see them in the current Red Book.

I have all the coins in my possession, she trusts me that much. Your comments?

Upvote 0

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Dozer - For liquidating the collection, I mentioned eBay as an option. She'll have to put in the work in taking photos and listing them, but will realize the closest value that you quoted. She could also enlist the help of Heritage Auctions. HA likely won't handle any of the common dates, but the high end Morgan/Peace dollars would sell for a high value especially if you target a specific auction like HA's FUN auction in January. If she is insistent on selling to a dealer, than she would be best served to take the coins to a large show and shop them around. At the FUN show, there are over 700 dealers. Many come from all over the country and their goal isn't to sell coins but to buy. When you have the dealers competing for the same product, then she'll increase the value that the coins are worth.

Jyorsky

Sep 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
MXT PRO
AT GOLD
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any further update Dozer, and did you you want you want to share any pictures?

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice job, you are a good friend! :occasion14:

OP
OP
Dozer D

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
The drama is over guys. Was able to return all the coins on the listings to the owner. I told her that I tried to be as INDEPENDENTLY to grading the coins as I can, to be as fair as possible, and notwithstanding that she is a very close friend of ours. I said that these were the best looking silver dollars that I have ever held in my hands, and that these were even better than what you see on TV (The Coin Vault for one) and that I would not be able to afford making any reasonable offer on the high grade coins. But I told her that I would like to make an offer on the current JUNK SILVER (items 93 & 94). But before I could even finish my sentence as to what my offer is, she said that I can HAVE all the JUNK ITEMS (items 93-97) for the unselfish work that I did, doing in such detail etc. I told her, that do you realize that it is worth 25 ounces of silver, but she said that doesn't matter. I still need to find a current US COIN Blue Book, to give her a better idea of what she can expect when she sells. It was a real pleasure to have handled such good looking coins, even though they were not mine. I wish her luck on the disposal of said coins, and that she gets the best price possible.

Jyorsky

Sep 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
MXT PRO
AT GOLD
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dozer,
As other people have said, well done, respectfully, and personally. If the coins are 1/2 of your estimate, she should use a reputable high end auction house, to get the best value for her estate. Well done......
John

OP
OP
Dozer D

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
New info, and for the better. Was able to get a 2019 Red Book, and 2019 Blue Book, just for these coins . Red book changed very little, ups & downs. Blue book value for all the tagged coins 1-94 (junks and beyond she gave me) is about $4100 (using lower grades). She was still very much shocked as to how much they were still worth, even at Blue book. She is a little squimish as to how to get rid of them, and at the end of our conversation she blurts out and says, take em even if its at FV. I was shocked at that response, but didn't want to show any expression. I really can't take them at FV, wouldn't be fair at all. Now I'm in a puzzled state, do I offer her say 10-times FV, or what. She has yet to discuss the estate values with her two brothers as to, 1)divvy up the coins three ways, or 2)sell them openly to some coin dealer, then split up the cash, or 3)sell them to DozerD at some x-value x face, and then split up the cash. I don't want to push her in any direction, it's totally up to her. But, I'm still in the running for this fantastic BIG SILVER COIN COLLECTION. Wish me luck, even though I might not get them, I'm more than happy with the junk silver 25-ounces that she gave me for grading the coins.

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd do something based off of melt. 50% of melt or some such. Then it won't hurt if the grading wasn't conservative enough.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread