Whats a pretty good detector to use for beach hunting?

Treasure Seeker

Sep 7, 2005
Appleton, WI
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI-2500, Garrett ACE 250, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What's a pretty good detector to use for beach hunting?

Hello Everyone,

I've just been confirmed for a 6+ month consulting project in Charlotte, NC. And, since the ocean beaches are much closer to Charlotte than Wisconsin --- I think I'm going to have to spend a good amount of time on the beaches of SC and NC since they are both about 200 miles from Charlotte.

My question... I'm if anyone could share with me some good detectors. I'd like to pick up a used one. I have a Garrett GTI-2500, but I'm not sure if this detector is optimum for detecting saltwater beaches.

Ideally, I'd like to know which detectors are OK, which ones are BETTER, and which ones are BEST.

Thanks in advance!

Upvote 0

seas1to2

May 17, 2006
fl
Re: What's a pretty good detector to use for beach hunting?

minelab sovereign, almost any model will be a killer on the beach, wet an dry sand no problem an they go deep

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Myself, I use the Minelab Excalibur 1000, Fisher CZ20, and a Tesoro Tiger Shark. Of the three, the nod goes to the Excal. Whites PI machines are very deep an work fine in wet sand like the others, howevr it lacks good discrimination and you mainly have to dig everything. This is ok if you still have a strong back. All these machines are waterproof.

HH,
Sandman

Rob66

Bronze Member
Jun 30, 2006
California
Detector(s) used
Whites new coinmaster-Teso Silver Max-Minelab GT

I have to say too, the minelab GT is the best.

happy hunting. found this today.

Attachments

• fine 2 24 inch figaro chain.JPG
    fine 2 24 inch figaro chain.JPG
    17 KB · Views: 336

GaBeaSwpr

May 1, 2006
Appling Georgia

Treasure Seeker;
I own both a Garrett Sea Hunter PI and a Minelab Excalibur 1000, both are good machines but as Sandman said previously the PI (pulse induction) machines do not discriminate like the VLF machines do. They have some advantage depthwise but you dig EVERYTHING. You may find yourself in a range of $600 for a PI or better than $1100 for a top-flight Excalibur, you can be successfull with EITHER machine if you learn how to use them properly and study your hunting area. If you opt for a used machine you can find bargains with modest effort, just be careful.
Good luck.
Jim

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

As long as you don't get it wet the GTI 2500 should do just as well as anything you could buy. Just activate the salt elimination mode and keep going. No need to spend another thousand bucks if you just plan on hunting sand. Monty

neilo

Aug 23, 2005

Hi Treasure, Listen to Sandman he knows his machines well, I have to agree about the Excalibur, if you dont want to go in the deep water there is the Sovereign which is the land version of the Excalibur, this machine comes with a waterproof coil and can be used in shallow water but the control box is not waterproof and must be kept dry.They are made for beach use and excell in situations where other detectors cant handle the salty moist black sand conditions. good luck with your detecting seeya Neilo ;D

OP
OP
T

Treasure Seeker

Sep 7, 2005
Appleton, WI
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI-2500, Garrett ACE 250, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks for the info everyone. I'm leaving for North Carolina tomorrow... I think I'll try my GTI-2500 in the sand with the salt elimination mode and just check it out.

I need to buy a hand-scoop before I head to the beach...

Thanks again for your input -- If the GTI doesn't perform well, I might save up for a one of the recommended detectors above.

TS

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread