Whats best, a WOT or SEF coil for Excal? Differences?

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Florida- Somewhere in the middle
Detector(s) used
MXT 300/Excal II/Surf Dual Field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are neck and neck in my opinion. I own the WOT on my Excal and I own a SEF 15"X18" Butterfly, I love both, I love the coverage of the 15"x18", but it is too big for in the water, it is a fantastic SOV coil for wet sand.........I love the WOT in the water, and I personally have no problem swing it................

Silver I thought your Excal was new, if you change coils on an Excal under warranty you will void the warranty....

OP
OP
Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure_Hunter said:
They are neck and neck in my opinion. I own the WOT on my Excal and I own a SEF 15"X18" Butterfly, I love both, I love the coverage of the 15"x18", but it is too big for in the water, it is a fantastic SOV coil for wet sand.........I love the WOT in the water, and I personally have no problem swing it................

Silver I thought your Excal was new, if you change coils on an Excal under warranty you will void the warranty....
Thanks for the helpful advice.... No, not new... About 1 1/2 yrs old...
Sure a damn bad time to have it down, as I see gold finds are really up... Snooksion is really killing it right now, and he and I have hunted together several times...
I am going to send an email to Minelab begging them to prioritize mine, not expecting them to, but who knows...

S.S.Tupperware

Jul 18, 2009
Orlando
Detector(s) used
PI Dual/Coinmaster 5500d/DFX/BHID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am hoping to pick up a Sef , but I'm not sure if I wanna go with the 10x 12 or the 12x15, gonna use it for the fluff on the beach but concerned about the weight. I also might use it in fields, so I am leaning towards the 10x 12 unless someone knows something I don't :read2:

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
If U want to go with the SEF 15 x 18 Google it and U will find out that U can get it delivered here in the US from GB for $390.00..... or U can go to KellyCo and pay the insane price of $699.00 plus shipping :hello:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guess I was lucky, I bought one at original price. It is a great beach coil.

D

digum smacks

i own both and there is no comparison the sef destroys the wot in every way shape and form,and the sef is alot lighter than the wot.the only thing i would give the wot is that its built like a tank

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
snooksion2 said:
i own both and there is no comparison the sef destroys the wot in every way shape and form,and the sef is alot lighter than the wot.the only thing i would give the wot is that its built like a tank

I also own both the WOT and the SEF 15"x18" Butterfly coil, I like them both use both, can't say the SEF blows the WOT away..

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MT Pockets said:
How does the SEF Glide through the water?
Resistance wise..

The WOT can be a Bear at times when the current is moving..

Humm, I have no problem with WOT in water, I guess your older then me in some aspects......... :laughing7:

D

digum smacks

let me clarify the 12x15 sef compared to the 15"wot the sef destroys it.dont know about the 18"never tried that one so i cant compare.let me add i used both for a long time

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
snooksion2 said:
let me clarify the 12x15 sef compared to the 15"wot the sef destroys it.dont know about the 18"never tried that one so i cant compare.let me add i used both for a long time

I can't compare the SEF 12x15 as I haven't used it........yet, ;D......... I will say the 15x18 is a fantastic coil, but are my WOTs. I have owned 3 WOT coils, all 3 have been "hot" coils, have owned the 15X18 for a year now.......It is too big to use in the water, but I use it on the wet sand when surf is too rough and it is a great coil, you can cover a lot of area, it will respond to small gold and it is deeeeeeep.... :icon_thumright:

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
im about to find out how good the sef is :hello2: got a sweet 10 by 12 sef for my excal 800 and i will be trying it out on satellite beach, cocoa, melbourne, daytona etc: this coming week :hello: decided to splce it on since there was not enough time to order the waterproof connectors. plasti-dip is drying as we speak....er..as i write :headbang:
chuck.

OP
OP
Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What brand of SEF is available for the Excal? The only ones I seem to be able to find for sale are the "Detech" brand...

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver Surfer said:
What brand of SEF is available for the Excal? The only ones I seem to be able to find for sale are the "Detech" brand...

Detech makes the S.E.F. (Symetrical Electromagnetic Field) They own the patent for it.................

You have to buy the one for the Sovereign, there is not one designated for the Excal, but coils are interchangeable between the Sovereign and the Excal.....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread