Whats happening with DIY Pulse Induction MDs? How about software based MDs?

OP
OP
Functional

Functional

Feb 16, 2007
Okanagan Valley, British Columbia, Canada
Detector(s) used
A Compass Magnum 420 recently brought back to life. And an untested "in the wild" Teknetics.
Re: Whats happening with DIY Pulse Induction MD's? How about software based MD's

I didn't forget to follow up on this post. Things just didn't happen as I wanted them to. Had to spend most of my weekend trimming branches and bundling them up to haul away. ::)

The post to GeoTech that I mentioned in my previous post above, can be found down in the bowels of the virtual earth here:
http://thunting.com/geotech/forums/showthread.php?t=12937

I have a copy of it, but didn't want to post it here and prolong the thread needlessly.

I modified this post to add another link to another post on GeoTech relating to my idea for a project, using a GameBoy as a low cost discriminator for the PI MD's:
http://thunting.com/geotech/forums/showthread.php?t=12937

I also suggested that the GameBoy could serve as the main component for a pulse induction metal detector, similar to how it was employed as a sonar for the SonarBoy and other applications as mentioned in the following links:
Pocket Sonar:
http://www.gamersgraveyard.com/repository/gameboy/peripherals/pocketsonar.html
GameBoy Pocket FishFinder:
http://www.rbbi.com/wizard/wizfish/wizfish.htm
Glucoboy:
A glucose meter for diabetics that can be connected to a Nintendo GameBoy.

Considering the cost of a used "GameBoy Color", or the "GameBoy Advance", (typically about $15 to $25 U.S.), a DIY type person with electronics and programming knowledge would likely be able to come up with the main control unit for a Discriminating PI MD that they could in turn resell for $100.00 or more per unit. Unless of course they happen to be selfless individuals who just enjoy helping other people and want to "share the wealth" by providing the information needed for others to build they're own "PiBoy" device?

Just a thought. :)

F.

GrantWA

Feb 27, 2005
Re: Whats happening with DIY Pulse Induction MD's? How about software based MD's

I have some experience with setting up microprocessors and programming languages. Frankly the programming language is probably not going to be much of a problem, as one of the most popular I use is called ladder logic. It is based on electronics blueprints and from what I have seen most electricians have very little problem understanding it.

I have been trying to visualize how this system would be working, and frankly I have a problem coming up with something that would work, yet not be way too heavy due to the power supply requirements.

If you set this up to use a PLC (Primary Logic Controller) to control the detector you would have to design the thing to supply power to different inputs on the controller.. probably triggered by the coil output . Hmm, this is kind of intriging..

I think I will give a buddy of mine, who manufactures a controller for standalone systems a call and see what he thinks..

If you just want to see and example of some processor based PLC systems take a look at

http://www.rugidcomputer.com/

Cheers!

OP
OP
Functional

Functional

Feb 16, 2007
Okanagan Valley, British Columbia, Canada
Detector(s) used
A Compass Magnum 420 recently brought back to life. And an untested "in the wild" Teknetics.

GrantWA said:
I have some experience with setting up microprocessors and programming languages. Frankly the programming language is probably not going to be much of a problem, as one of the most popular I use is called ladder logic. It is based on electronics blueprints and from what I have seen most electricians have very little problem understanding it.

I have been trying to visualize how this system would be working, and frankly I have a problem coming up with something that would work, yet not be way too heavy due to the power supply requirements.

If you set this up to use a PLC (Primary Logic Controller) to control the detector you would have to design the thing to supply power to different inputs on the controller.. probably triggered by the coil output . Hmm, this is kind of intriging..

I think I will give a buddy of mine, who manufactures a controller for standalone systems a call and see what he thinks..

If you just want to see and example of some processor based PLC systems take a look at

http://www.rugidcomputer.com/

Cheers!

Hi GrantWA

Thanks for the input. Its been awhile since I started this thread and I've been concentrating on other "outside" projects I'm working on, while the weather is good. I haven't had much experience in the electronics field, but sometimes I come up with an idea that seems to make sense to me and throw it out there for those more knowledgeable and capable than I to decide if its something worth pursuing.

The closest I've come to electronics work of late, is seeing if I can figure out how to jury rig a digital multimeter to my old Compass Magnum 420, (which only had an analog meter), to get something more precise for readings. Just as luck would have it, I left my DM turned on over night and the batteries died, so I have to get some more when I get into the city next week. I do have a second DM, but the battery in it is already dead and I want to be sure I'm patching it in right before I do anything permanent.

I'm still working on my other projects, so I'm not sure when I'll get back to any programming matters, but the idea of a more flexible programmable software based MD, just seems to make sense to me and I'd like to follow up on it as I'm able. I did take a quick look at that link, but I'm not sure just how different those controllers are from the ones used in conjunction with the GameBoy in some of its configurations.

F.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread