Whats it worth?

bsloan

Jul 3, 2010
The heart of Aggieland
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
What's it worth?

I came across a Catalina S80 tank, and a TUSA BCJ today, I don't know the age, but I can find no scratches or damage to anything.
The dive vest, I suspect has only been used 1 or 2 times. The owner's manual was still in the left pocket, and was in pretty good shape, until I tried to take it out.
Any ideas on a fair value would be great.
Thanks in advance for the help,
Bill

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Yep, the older Catalina 77 cubic ft aluminum tanks developed cracks around the neck. Only a few had problems, but they did find that some had cracks. Maybe from overfilling who knows. Just a few years, but they all got a bad rap. If it is a super 80 it would be good, but the 77 came in AL 80 and S 80 markings. Check the year it was made, and go to your closest dive shop and ask them. They (77 cubic foot-80 aluminum) were the worst tank for bouyancy control. They gain 16 lbs of bouyancy when they get near empty. Pain in the butt. No other scuba tank has that problem, but they are the most used tank in the world. I hate em. I have always used steel tanks, first the 72 steels, now the 121 and 130 low pressure steels. No weight change problem with any of them.

ropesfish

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
A sharp eye, an AquaPulse and a finely tuned shrimp fork.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
So about the price...The tank will have to be hydro'ed, etc. which is about $27-30 here on the Treasure Coast of Florida. Assuming it passes hydro -with a fresh hydro test it is worth in the neighborhood of $80 to $100 here. If you walked into my garage to sell it and the tank was manufactured after 1993, I'd probably offer $40-$50. The value of the BC is dependent on it's features, age and condition. If it is a non-weight-integrated jacket style BC from the 1980's (you did say that the owner's manual disintegrated upon removal) that is in perfect visual condition and check out with no leaks and needs no repairs, I'd be hard pressed to offer more than $40. TUSA entry level BCs brand new start at about $225. The newer units are more valuable obviously. Remembering that this is life support equiment, you should have someone go over it before you use it. Best thing is to find the exact make and model and check either "completed listings" for similar items on EBay or look through the listings on Craigslist like south florida sporting goods - all classifieds "BC" - craigslist or Scubaboard.com classifieds.
I hope this helps.

Last edited:

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Yep, the older Catalina 77 cubic ft aluminum tanks developed cracks around the neck. Only a few had problems, but they did find that some had cracks. Maybe from overfilling who knows. Just a few years, but they all got a bad rap. If it is a super 80 it would be good, but the 77 came in AL 80 and S 80 markings. Check the year it was made, and go to your closest dive shop and ask them. They (77 cubic foot-80 aluminum) were the worst tank for bouyancy control. They gain 16 lbs of bouyancy when they get near empty. Pain in the butt. No other scuba tank has that problem, but they are the most used tank in the world. I hate em. I have always used steel tanks, first the 72 steels, now the 121 and 130 low pressure steels. No weight change problem with any of them.

Actually, they developed cracks, but many were the result of a bad metal alloy. Perfect looking tanks passing VIP and Hydro would explode with no warning. Most of these have been removed from use, but you might find some that were stashed in garages, etc. The manufacture date of '88 seems to be the key. I know it is a long time ago, but when it comes to gear, I've seen some old stuff being dragged out of the closet. Best just to buy the tank for scrap or settle on buying new.

OP
OP
B

bsloan

Jul 3, 2010
The heart of Aggieland
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Thanks for all the information guys. I picked up the pair for $40 dollars at an auction. I figured I might be able to resell for a little cash. If i read the numbers on the tank right, it was made in 95. One of the kids at work played on google today, and said the tank, new, is about 290, and the vest is discontinued, but did sell for 450-500 new. The only thing I know, is the tank does have air in it. Waiting on return calls from a couple of instructors, and a diver from search and rescue.
No matter how it turns out, I don't want a novice looking at them until I have the proper info/

Again, thanks for the responses and the info,
Bill

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Many scuba shops in Austin(yeah, I know), but most are really helpful, will check the stuff out and will help you sell it if you want.

ropesfish

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
A sharp eye, an AquaPulse and a finely tuned shrimp fork.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
One thing...don't get too enamored of the "price when it was new". Almost all dive equipment was expensive to buy at retail when it was new, but dive gear doesn't hold it's value very well. You did good @ $40. You'll make money. Any time you sell dive equipment it is a good idea to put in the standard disclaimer that ""This is life support equipment. If it fails to operate properly, you could die. I give no warranty, expressed or implied. Please have any used equipment checked by a competent professional before use." :laughing7: That always gets the wives perked up...
Good luck.

OP
OP
B

bsloan

Jul 3, 2010
The heart of Aggieland
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Many scuba shops in Austin(yeah, I know), but most are really helpful, will check the stuff out and will help you sell it if you want.
Thanks austin, we had a couple of dive shops here too, but they closed in the spring. They were selling their rental tanks for 50, and rental vests for 75.
I'm guessing that would be a fair price.
Bill

OP
OP
B

bsloan

Jul 3, 2010
The heart of Aggieland
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
One thing...don't get too enamored of the "price when it was new". Almost all dive equipment was expensive to buy at retail when it was new, but dive gear doesn't hold it's value very well. You did good @ $40. You'll make money. Any time you sell dive equipment it is a good idea to put in the standard disclaimer that ""This is life support equipment. If it fails to operate properly, you could die. I give no warranty, expressed or implied. Please have any used equipment checked by a competent professional before use." :laughing7: That always gets the wives perked up...
Good luck.

Thanks Ropesfish. I really don't want this to end up in the hands of a knot head. I had someone take a look at this stuff this morning, and offered 375. I asked where was his favorite place to dive. we have NO clear water anywhere close. His response was the Brazos River. You being from Florida, I doubt you have seen this river, but think chocolate pudding! He then went on to say he had the hose and hose clamp that went on the bottom of the tank. Needless to say, I still have the equipment, and hopefully, this kid can still grow some brain cells, he is really running low.
The very worst that can happen, I hang it on the wall in the living room, and tell the grandkids crazy dive stories.

Bill

wwwtimmcp

Bronze Member
Sep 22, 2007
wakeman, ohio
Detector(s) used
J.W.FISHERS pulse 8x
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I did good yesterday, I got a
1. scuba pro mk 2 with r190,pressure guage and bcd inflator hose
2. scuba pro mk15 with m50 pressure guage and bcd inflator hose
3. scuba pro mk20 with g250 primary, r190 secondary,scuba pro 3 guage console, bcd inflator hose
4. extra 2 guage console,extra single pressure guage
5. never used set of gorilla fins
6. slightly used scuba pro gear bag

everything had been serviced back in 99 and unused since. $250.00 for everything.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions