chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi!

I've been casting my gold MD finds and gold prospecting fines into some pretty cool items. You can see some of them here at:

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/gold-prospecting/386068-one-ounce-nugget.html#post3693739

I'm thinking about doing it as a business but don't know if there would be any interest. I also do not know what to charge.

Please don't ask me to do it now. If I decide to do it I will pay to advertise.

Keep in mind the costs and time involved to cast the items!

First I will have to refine the gold to remove metal alloys such as copper. Castings that have not had the base metals removed look like crusty copper. Refining involves numerous fluxes that are not cheap. Refining will bring the karat gold to close to 24k. I could also as a product called Nu-Cast. Nu-Cast is a high flux casting grain that will prevent (to a degree) the crusty copper appearance. Nu-Cast is expensive! About $40 for 2 ounces! Nu-Cast will reduce the karat value. In other words 14k will be less then 14k after adding Nu-Cast.

In either case I need a propane furnace/kiln, propane, flux or nu-cast, crucibles, tongs and other equipment.

After refining/nu-casting I need to make a mold, pour the gold, cut, file, sand and shine the item. There is some unrecoverable loss!

What I need to know:

1. Would you be interested in having your gold items refined and cast into unique, cool items?

2. What do you think is a fair price? Charged in gold or dollars?

Thanks for your help!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions