OP
OP
T

T Hunter

Oct 26, 2006
Delaware
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur
You are 100% right . I just did the tap test and everytime i tapped the wire about an inch up from where it screws into the coil it gave me a low sound and i think the sensativity is on 18 if it matters . Where do you think thre best place to buy a coil is ? and you say it is called a pro coil does the size matter i dont think i want to go to big Thanks Mark :icon_thumright:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
T Hunter said:
You are 100% right . I just did the tap test and everytime i tapped the wire about an inch up from where it screws into the coil it gave me a low sound and i think the sensativity is on 18 if it matters . Where do you think thre best place to buy a coil is ? and you say it is called a pro coil does the size matter i dont think i want to go to big Thanks Mark :icon_thumright:

Any Minelab dealer "should" have a pro coil available for sale. Ralph at Sunray is good to deal with, and is where I bought mine.

Hang on to your coil and try the same test when you get the new one. If the new one doesn't sound off you can be sure it was your coil that was causing the problem. Of course you'll also see a big difference when you get out detecting again.

OP
OP
T

T Hunter

Oct 26, 2006
Delaware
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur
Thank you for all your time and info I really appreciate it . You and your family have a great Christmas and New Year . Thanks again Mark

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
T Hunter said:
Thank you for all your time and info I really appreciate it . You and your family have a great Christmas and New Year . Thanks again Mark

A great holiday to you as well. Hope you got it sorted out because I know the frustration very well.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I actually swapped coils on all the machines back and forth several times while comparing machines. Sometimes several times in a hunt to compare signals. I wasted a lot of hunting time swaping but I learned allot.

I kept the ex about a year after i got the se. I used it as a backup/loaner/signal checker. Only coil I didn't get to compare was the ex coil and the procoil. When hunting with the ex and se I prefered the Sunray 8 over the stock coils for general hunting. It seemed to seperate better for me. The new coil seperates for me better than all the coils. I'm really sold on that coil. I think the coil is what makes the etrac so good for me.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
stoopstroop said:
I actually swapped coils on all the machines back and forth several times while comparing machines. Sometimes several times in a hunt to compare signals. I wasted a lot of hunting time swaping but I learned allot.

I kept the ex about a year after i got the se. I used it as a backup/loaner/signal checker. Only coil I didn't get to compare was the ex coil and the procoil. When hunting with the ex and se I prefered the Sunray 8 over the stock coils for general hunting. It seemed to seperate better for me. The new coil seperates for me better than all the coils. I'm really sold on that coil. I think the coil is what makes the etrac so good for me.

I'd say it's more the E-trac fits your hunting style than the pro coil being that much better. The 8" really did nothing for me and as many times as I've had one (at least 6), it was always sold.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As much as I appreciate your opinion please don't tell me what my opinion is. I swapped the pro coil and the slimeline back and forth on the se AND the etrac and found the same results. Whatever machine the pro coil was on I could seperate signals better. It ran smoother and I seemed to be able to run it hotter in most places. If you find something different with your coils thats great.

I do like the etrac better than the SE. I like some of the features it has over the others.

That being said, in my opinion the SE and the EX are just as good of machine as the etrac. I set them up differently to achieve the same results but they still will pull the same amount of silver for me if I run them with the pro coil. Again, if you like the other coils and they work for you keep on using them. I respect your opinion.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
stoopstroop said:
As much as I appreciate your opinion please don't tell me what my opinion is. I swapped the pro coil and the slimeline back and forth on the se AND the etrac and found the same results. Whatever machine the pro coil was on I could seperate signals better. It ran smoother and I seemed to be able to run it hotter in most places. If you find something different with your coils thats great.

I do like the etrac better than the SE. I like some of the features it has over the others.

That being said, in my opinion the SE and the EX are just as good of machine as the etrac. I set them up differently to achieve the same results but they still will pull the same amount of silver for me if I run them with the pro coil. Again, if you like the other coils and they work for you keep on using them. I respect your opinion.

Read again, I didn't tell you anything.

OP
OP
T

T Hunter

Oct 26, 2006
Delaware
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur
I just got the new pro coil for my explorer 2 And Iron Patch you where right on the money , That new coil doesnt false at all smooth as glass . My other coil way BAD . All that time trying to elimanate the falsing and a bad coil ???????? Thanks again Iron you know your stuff.. Mark :icon_thumright:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
T Hunter said:
I just got the new pro coil for my explorer 2 And Iron Patch you where right on the money , That new coil doesnt false at all smooth as glass . My other coil way BAD . All that time trying to elimanate the falsing and a bad coil ???????? Thanks again Iron you know your stuff.. Mark :icon_thumright:

Unfortunately I've learned through many problems but it's good now when trying to sort things out. It sure is a world of difference huh. Makes you shake your head thinking of all the hours spent using a bad coil. :-\ It's too bad because I'll guarantee there are many many people with bad coils, they're just not as bad as yours so it will be more time until they figure it out. A friend of mine also got used to using a bad one. I told him it was likely the coil and sure enough when he used my back up he was fine.

bayrat

Aug 7, 2008
South Texas
Detector(s) used
Miinelab ExcaliburII 1000 and Explorer SE
I like the SEF 10X12. I have owned a 15"WOT and Joey, plus the Explorer II coil. My slim line that came on the SE is a falsing and ghost signal a lot. I got the SEF 2 months ago so far really like it. I liked the Wot coil just to heavy. Plus you need a back hole to dig the deep stuff it will find on the beach.

tokens70

Apr 9, 2009
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cibola, Explorer 2
Hello, I just bought an explorer 2 about a month ago & mainly have been using the 8 in. coil because my area is extremely trashy. What I would like to know is if the 11in. pro coil gets just as good of depth as the stock 1050 coil & if it is somewhat lighter? I have not had the exp. very long & I have not gotten used to the 1050 coil, so if the pro is just as good & lighter, then I am sure I will end up with one for not so trashy areas. :help:
Thank you for any help you can provide, T

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tokens70 said:
Hello, I just bought an explorer 2 about a month ago & mainly have been using the 8 in. coil because my area is extremely trashy. What I would like to know is if the 11in. pro coil gets just as good of depth as the stock 1050 coil & if it is somewhat lighter? I have not had the exp. very long & I have not gotten used to the 1050 coil, so if the pro is just as good & lighter, then I am sure I will end up with one for not so trashy areas. :help:
Thank you for any help you can provide, T

Definitely lighter and operates very close to the older one so it is probably something that would interest you.

tokens70

Apr 9, 2009
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cibola, Explorer 2
Thanks IP I really appreciate your input :thumbsup:

lostlake88

Dec 2, 2007
The Queen City
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
For me, it is the Minelab 8". I use the Exp ll. Couldn't live without it. Awesome coil. I run 23 sensitivity and I still pull coins 6-8 with ease. Deepest is about 9" on a nik.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions