Whats the best detector?

Willy

Check out the mineralization first. VLF's can get the same (or better) depth as PI's in areas of low or no mineralization. If the ground starts to get hot, I'd say go for the Infinium. It is more versatile than the PI Pro. One thing to consider is that you might travel to other places (maybe a bit of nugget hunting in Arizona, eh?) an the PI Pro isn't designed for that while the Infinium is. I had an Excalibur & 2 Sov's, with 8" coil up to WOT. I got rid of them 'cause of the lack of small gold sensitivity they displayed, and the inconsistent results with foreign coins including ours (Canada). I gave them a fair try, putting about 8 months of solid detecting time into them, and was not impressed. You might also want to look into the Fisher CZ20. I had a CZ6 with which I prospected in Alaska a few years ago. Had to run it in the salt mode (like what the CZ6 is permanently set at) & found a heap of gold.. some bits weighing just a few grains. ..Willy.

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Willy is right about low mineralisation areas. I prefer P.I.'s but do have to use twin and multifrequency in some areas. One coast suits the CZ6a best the other the Sovereign. Then there's the beaches that the CZ6a is better on than the Minelab if put in land mode and the salt ground balanced out. Snag with that is the hole you dig sounds off so you have to try to get the find out in one go or switch back to beach mode where the target may be to deep to hear. (Think Willy meant to type that the CZ20 is locked in beach mode). If not going under water I would avoid both the CZ20 and Excaliber. The advantage of putting the best headphones on and being able to swap coils without having to risk third party waterproof connectors can't be ignored plus cheaper to buy and repair.
Re Minelab gold detectors, you can mimic the Garrett discrimination method by use of the ground balance system. I had an e-mail a few years back from someone who had given up on the old P.I. Classroom site because they didn't seem to interested in the more hidden features of the SD machine...I got a feeling there was also a post on the Australian Finders forum re this method with the GP.

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go on the PI Technology Forum and type in 'Infinium' in the search section and you will get an idea of where it works well and where not. Its not biased as it will be searching the all the 'Finds' forums not just the P.I. Tech which does tend to be biased towards the Eric Foster P.I.'s
http://findmall.com/list.php?34

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread