Whats the best MD for kids?

eldorado

Mar 19, 2009
Northwest OHIO
Detector(s) used
started out with compass nugget.1970? have had many over years, current choice is Garrett ACE 350. collection includes: ace 250, AT Pro, ATX, Whites 6000, whites classic, still have my compass too.
Re: What's the best MD for kids?

I would suggest something simple, light weight, probably depends on the child, and the attention span. I think the bounty hunter Lone star is a very very good detector, with room to grow into it... but It may be too complex for a younger treasure hunter, I belive you are thinking right with the amount you want to spend, you should be able to get them set up good for that amount good luck to you

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I would probably recommend a Garrett Ace 250 (a 150 is less, but I don't know what features you lose). Of course the Ace 250 is about $200 shipped to your door, so a bit pricier, but more bang for your buck, especially for children.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Bounty Hunter Tracker IV

It is one tough machine and easy for kids 7 years old and up to use. I use it too.
$119.99 Here is a link that shows detectors for kids that Kellyco Recommends.

http://www.kellycodetectors.com/kids.htm

Goodyguy~

joelt

Jan 5, 2007
Far North Austin
Detector(s) used
F5, F4, Sidewinder

You need something light, with concentric coil (pinpoints and IDs better), and can slay coins for the kids.

The F2 fits that, but is a bit more new ($200, but used $150), a 7-9 year old should pick it up readily. The Compadre also fits as well with only one dial, just turn to penny+ and off they go (they don't have to ask you questions at all), you can get these new at $150 (and like $100 used), and many many adults use it as well. The BH Quick Silver also has good ease of use, and is in your price range even new.

Go with the F2/Quick Silver if you think they will like more of a gadgety device, and with the Compadre/BH Tracker if you want dead simple, but still powerful. My only problem with an ACE for a kid is it has a elliptical coil which makes pinpointing a bit more frustrating and costs a little bit more than what mentioned.

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I got my 6 year old a BH quicksilver, and it came with a free pinpointer. I had to operate and cut the shaft way down and drill in new bolt holes, but fully extended I could use it still, so its something he will grow with.

extractor

Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

There is a great video on youtube on de tune the ace 250. IT shows how to pinpoint with it .

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Check out the Tesoro Compadre.

joelt

Jan 5, 2007
Far North Austin
Detector(s) used
F5, F4, Sidewinder

You have a dilemma, if you get three that are the same kind, they will probably interfere with each other (same freq.). However, they are kids and if you get them 3 different ones, they will all fight over the "better" detector...

gary in idaho

May 7, 2008

Tesoro Compadre gets my vote, it's a great detector for the price and a lifetime warranty.

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Goodyguy said:
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV

It is one tough machine and easy for kids 7 years old and up to use. I use it too.
$119.99 Here is a link that shows detectors for kids that Kellyco Recommends.

http://www.kellycodetectors.com/kids.htm

Goodyguy~

I kinda have to agree here. You have to remember, the kids lose interest real real fast....buy em a toy and they end up playing with the box longer than the toy. The Tracker IV will find coins and other things. I still have my Tracker IV and I won't get rid of it. My son, who is 22 now, uses it most of the time. HH and GL.

camperlee

Jan 8, 2008
belding, Michigan
Detector(s) used
whites XLT Garrett GTI 2500 Garrett ACE 250

I bought my grandson an ACE 250 he is 8 yrs old first time out he found coins and it doesn't seem to be too heavy.

ThTx

Dec 19, 2006
Combine
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Master Hunter CX Plus, Teknetics G2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Ace 150 or 250. Both are great machines for anyone.

steve from ohio

Aug 1, 2008

I would recommend two.

The Ace 250 and the Fisher F-2.

Either would be a great detector for kids.

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

jhettel said:
ACE 250. It's made for kids and amateurs.

You don't have to be a "kid" or an "amateur" to get the best out of this machine.

treasuredog

Oct 21, 2004
Leetonia Ohio
Detector(s) used
minelab xterra 70,whites xlt,minelab quattro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I would go with a bounty hunter,light weight and easy to use.

jb7487

Apr 16, 2009

I bought the Bounty Hunter Tracker IV for myself on Amazon for $98. It seems to be a really great machine. My 10 year old daughter loves to use it. It is a little tall for her so I had to hack the pole a little so that it would be short enough. But otherwise she is a real pro with it.

I also bought the Bounty Hunter Junior for my 7 year old son and it is also a very good machine for the money. I spent $38 for it on Amazon! It just has two controls (sensitivity and discrimination) and a single beep/tone so it is very easy to use for coinshooting. It has a different type of handle though so it is actually slightly harder to swing in a straight line (without arching). But the pole actually extends to where I can use it as well.

I took the kids out over the weekend and they lasted about an hour before wanting to go home. We were finding plenty of clad and I was doing all the digging for them. But kids simply don't have the patience that (some) adults have. :)

So I'd definitely recommend both machines. For the price they can't be beat. How can you go wrong with two solid detectors for less than $150?!?! And when they upgrade you will still have a couple of easy-to-use machines for anyone else that wants to try their hand at hunting.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

gary in idaho said:
Tesoro Compadre gets my vote, it's a great detector for the price and a lifetime warranty.

I agree! :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread