What's the best metal detector out there?

MexGT

Sep 23, 2013
México
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030 & Stealth 920i
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
There is no "best detector" out there or the perfect one, it all comes down to several points to consider.

1.- Where do you will be hunting? Inland? Beach? will need water resistant ?
2.- What type of targets are you focusing in? Coins? Gold flakes? relics?
3.- And maybe 50% of the importance of being a good detectorist, know your machine once you own it to be successful.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
There is no "best detector" out there or the perfect one, it all comes down to several points to consider.

1.- Where do you will be hunting? Inland? Beach? will need water resistant ?
2.- What type of targets are you focusing in? Coins? Gold flakes? relics?
3.- And maybe 50% of the importance of being a good detectorist, know your machine once you own it to be successful.

But don't you know what the answer to the above questions will be ? "All of the above "

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The best detector is the one you use often, and tailored to the the soils and conditions you search. Also, a good coin unit in trash may not be the best plowed fields relic machine. If there was one "best" we'd all be using it unless it cost over $1,500. Deeper means less sensitivity at shallower depths. More discrimination means more mistakes (confusing that 3 cent silver for a bit of foil).

No matter what you have to pick what is best for your needs. There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Homemade, only way to go.

Screen Shot 2016-11-20 at 7.26.07 PM.png

Hughie

Jun 25, 2016
Geneva Lakes area , Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 300, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Which ever detector polishes that dull spot on your ego! :laughing7: I'm super new to the hobby but have used two machines, my Ace 300 that I bought when I needed to find lost tractor parts and then a used BH 202 that I bought 'cuz I was having fun and wanted the wife or one of the grand kids to go out and search with me. Where I am in Wisconsin both machines work very well and as the 300 has more features neither one will out hunt the other, so far as I can tell. Find the one that makes you happy to hold and that will be the one that's best for you. The cheapest or most expensive will never work right for if you don't like it.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To answer as honest as possible, I can give an answer based only on the machines I have used.
For gathering screaming silver signals,, I really like the Etrac. However, the Etrac doesn't get along with rain, or water, in general. That situation would in the past, have me reaching for the AT PRO. It is submersible to 10 feet but is most effective in fresh water. Another Minelab machine that I use when the hunt is in salt water, is the Excalibur. It is THE Salt Water machine if you are going to hunt Atlantic or Pacific Beaches. (Submersible to 200 feet.) Since I have sold my AT PRO, I have the luxury of selecting the CTX 3030 as the machine of choice for the day, in the event of precipitation or when hunting in an area that is known to have given up deep silver.
Another machine in the arsenal that can hunt in multiple frequencies, is super light weight, and can give you 18 different programs to select from, is the DEUS. However. I believe it is most effective in open farm fields or the woods. I don't believe the French Designers had NYC Parks in mind when they were thinking where this machine can be most effective.
Recently. While hunting in the woods with the Etrac, I was reminded of the beauty of the wireless headphone feature that the DEUS has to offer. My Etrac headphone cable got snagged a few times..
So there you have it. Select the machine according to the conditions and environment you will face during the hunt. IMHO

Samson2078

Feb 21, 2023
Depends on where and what your hunting. I think a good all around detector that can do it all from gold, jewelry to relics is the WHITES MXT Pro. But good luck getting your hands on one. Because Whites is out of business now and a lot of serious hunters know about the MXT. My opinion

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread