Whats the best thing for poison ivy?

Jul 21, 2011
Wv 2 miles from Western,Md
Detector(s) used
Teroso Sand Shark
What's the best thing for poison ivy?

I went Mding in Petersburg,Va yesterday and in my aunts back yard I found... POISON IVY! :'( Thank goodness its just a little spot since I had on long sleeves and gloves but its just enough to irritate me. Calomine lotion does nothing for me so I mixed some baking soda and water and made a paste and it seems to spot the itching but it doesn't look like it is drying it up.

Any suggestions? ???

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Re: What's the best thing for poison ivy?

Cut a fresh mushroom (one from the grocery store) and apply the cut surface to the affected area.

Degrades on contact.

The best mushroom to use is Trametes versicolor, very common, found on large wood and limbs, usually common. Here's a photo and website:
http://www.google.com/imgres?q=Tram...6&tbnw=146&start=0&ndsp=15&ved=1t:429,r:4,s:0

Active ingredient in poison oak, poison ivy, poison sumac is urushiol. Urushiol is found in the sap of all three plants. It is also used to make lacquerware. Chinese long ago learned to detoxify urushiol by adding fungi to the sap, thereby degrading urushiol and making it safe.

bearbqd

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2007
Shenandoah Valley
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXP II w/ Sunray X-1 probe, Garrett AT Pro/Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Wow, great tip on the mushrooms. I've never heard of that and I've had to deal with reaction to poison plants most of my life. I've found that if I come into contact with it and scrub with a anti grease soap like Dawn dishwashing detergent within two hours or so of contact that I won't contract it. I just bought some of that Technu in Alaska and scrubbed with that last time out as well. Has been effective so far.
If I do break out, I find that multiple daily applications of bleach and rubbing alcohol help dry it out quicker.

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I was about to say Goats!,Goats love to eat Poison Ivy or even 20% Vineagar,sprayed on the plant will kill it.But Tecnu is the best,keep it with you at all times,I belive they even have wipes. :dontknow:

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000

Had a terrible case earlier this summer. The only thing that gave me any relief was Prednisone Steroids. Good luck. This stuff sucks.

mrwilburino

May 7, 2010
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Teknetics, Minelab, XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Ditto with the prednisone. That tip about the mushrooms sounded interesting though.

allan

Oct 7, 2008
Vega Baja

i get it and need the shots myself , but the one thing that dries it best for me is wet concrete/mortar, dries it up along with my skin but it goes away fast. that is if you don't mind man hands for a few days lol

Getty

Bronze Member
May 1, 2005
Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Ive had good results with this. Wash affected area with this soap. Dry off. Work up lather in hands and apply to area and let it dry. couple days of this and its dried up.

Attachments

• soap.jpg
    soap.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 287

Treasure finder

Apr 4, 2006
Los Angeles
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium, Compass Gold Scanner, Maxi Pulse, Gardner with a 3 foot loop, PDF1000, & Dowsing rods,

The best thing is ZANFEL. Look for it in pharmacies or look online. It will stop the itch
in under a minute! $30 for a 1/2 oz tube or look at CVS Pharmacy, their own brand
is $20 for twice as much. Really, you need to try it. It definitely makes poison ivy/oak
a non issue. Washes it right out! No more itch. I kid you not! After using it you are
no longer concerned about Poison Oak/Ivy, go get some.
Treasure Finder/Rich

Getty

Bronze Member
May 1, 2005
Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Getty said:
Ive had good results with this. Wash affected area with this soap. Dry off. Work up lather in hands and apply to area and let it dry. couple days of this and its dried up.
[/quote

Octagon is bout $1.00 a bar, takes a day or two but.... ? one bar lasts years for ivy. Plus you can use it for laundry or other things.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Ha! I just told my girlfriend I have a bump (oak not ivy) under my right arm and one on the sternum.... from hiking around at the NW corner of her property 2 days ago. I scratch it till it bleeds, then it's too painful to touch... no touch.... goes away. Not the recommended plan but works for me. (I LOOK at it and I break out!) TTC

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread