pjroo33

Oct 28, 2007
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, XP Deus, Minelab Explorer II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: WHAT'S THE BEST TICK REPELLANT?

I'd like to know as well. Went golfing this past weekend and they were all over the place. I also spent too much time searching for my ball in the woods >:(

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

My suggestion...

Bran <><

Attachments

• 41BJ2tfyKRL._SL500_AA280_.jpg
    41BJ2tfyKRL._SL500_AA280_.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 635

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250

the more DEET the better.

gtfd47

Apr 10, 2007
Northeast MA
Detector(s) used
Whites spectrum xlt

Interesting, cause i posted something similiar last year as was already brought up. I have spoken to several friends who are hunters. They also reccomended REPEL., but not the bug spray. It is the REPEL for clothing and gear. Basically it is an aerosol, and you spray paint your clothes with it, then let it dry for 4 hrs. Dont get it on your skin while wet, but it bods to your clothes. It has pemethrin in it. I have never seen anything like it. It works the nuts. Once dry, it is good for about 10 days with no washing (I use a specific set of clothes), but if you wash them, just re apply. Only 6 bucks a can @ Walmart in the camping hunting section

Bridge End Farm

Gold Member
Dec 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Library

I use a deet 30 or 40 percent. I spray my clothes heavy with it and have never had a tick on me. Folks you have to be careful to not apply a heavy deet to your skin.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Montana Jim said:
Bridge End Farm said:

Folks you have to be careful to not apply a heavy deet to your skin.

LMFAO!

"...and I musta wiped my nose..."

G

gamiller

These garments tend to be a little warm for summer use .
Some may find these useful, if you like to avoid chemicals.

http://www.rynoskin.com/

Greg

eathabs

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2005
Sunbury, PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 300, Classic ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

EDDE??? I think staying in doors???? EDDE???

Hal

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

eathabs said:
EDDE??? I think staying in doors???? EDDE???

Hal
i got nothin' dude *thumbs threw the local paper* :icon_study:
i think citronella works for ticks and mosquitoes

audigger53

Mar 27, 2004
Severn, Maryland
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting

My two cents worth from field testing in the mountians of Arizona.
Hang up the shirt and pants that you are going to wear the next day and spray them with repel.
Let them dry. Put Cutter's lotion on your hands and neck.
Having said that, I did pick up something better than repel, years back. It was good for 2 weeks or 3 washings, but the label warnings on it were a little scary.
It did not repel ticks and chiggers, it killed them!
I made sure that the pantlegs were tied off/bloused on the boot tops and not my skin.<G>
Deepwoods Off, fair. Cutters spray, better. When the Cutters was sprayed on the shirt and then worn, horse and deer flies would not even land on the shirt when soaked with sweat(Arizona, remember?).

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Cutter's in the sporting goods section of Wally World. None better, stop looking! M :tongue3: nty

glasskeeper

Oct 29, 2006
Central, Vermont

Nothing, after reading the contents on the tick repellent and the ( rinse the area for 20 minutes if you get it on your skin) I decided to shed my clothes standing on a white sheet as soon as I got in the house, so if any fell off I would see them. Then I do a good over-all check to make sure there are none on me. I have found ticks on me and some had to be pulled out with tweezers. I just keep an eye on the bite to make sure a bulls-eye doesn't form around the bite, if one does then I would go see a doctor. I have decided that if I want to keep hunting deer and I want to be out in the woods, even as late as mid December, I have to put up with them. I have to admit, in Vermont they're not as bad as they are in some states. If it gets to that point, then I'll start using a repellent. Good luck hunting. Jim

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Jim, I deer hunt in Oklahoma and Arkansas and we are the Rocky Mtn Fever and Lime Disease center of the Universe! You don't dare go into the woods without tick repellent as long as there is any green foilage still on the trees and shrubs. And even in the dead of winter if we hit a couple of warm days the ticks will be out. They hibernate under the bark of the trees in the winter here and you can pull back the bark on just about any tree and find live ticks. So, tick repellent is a must for any outdoor activity. I went dove hinting Oct. 1 one year and it was unseasonally warm so I wore shorts. Unbeknown to me the ticks opened up a camp ground in the area of my naughty parts and I just knew something I valued was going to fall off! Never again!! I got to counting one day and I had 6 cans of Cutter's in my metal detecting kit. I'm really paranoid about them since my misadventure! M :o nty

Bridge End Farm

Gold Member
Dec 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Library

Monty said:
Jim, I deer hunt in Oklahoma and Arkansas and we are the Rocky Mtn Fever and Lime Disease center of the Universe! You don't dare go into the woods without tick repellent as long as there is any green foilage still on the trees and shrubs. And even in the dead of winter if we hit a couple of warm days the ticks will be out. They hibernate under the bark of the trees in the winter here and you can pull back the bark on just about any tree and find live ticks. So, tick repellent is a must for any outdoor activity. I went dove hinting Oct. 1 one year and it was unseasonally warm so I wore shorts. Unbeknown to me the ticks opened up a camp ground in the area of my naughty parts and I just knew something I valued was going to fall off! Never again!! I got to counting one day and I had 6 cans of Cutter's in my metal detecting kit. I'm really paranoid about them since my misadventure! M :o nty

Monty is right, I have a cousin that has/was given lyme disease from a tick. It is not something that I would wish on anyone. I would bathe in it if possible to prevent one from getting on me.

glasskeeper

Oct 29, 2006
Central, Vermont

Monty said:
Monty, maybe it's time for me to think again about using repellent, I did have to go to the doctors because I broke the head off a tick trying to get it out of my navel, the doctor ended up cutting it out. Had to take antibiotics for three weeks. Jim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread