Whats the best way to anchor gold hog matt?

G1sammons

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2012
Murfreesboro tn
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Just finishing up my 6" and just not sure what the best way yo clamp that gh matt down
Here's a older pic of the matt in the side boxes
.. Let me know what ya think or have done with pic please
Thanks

Attachments

• image-1178758024.jpg
    image-1178758024.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 248

omnicron

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2012
Caldwell, Idaho
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I came up with two different ways.
One was some 1/8th x 3/4 flat bar with a 1/4" angle bent.
Second (current) was some alum with a 3/8" bend. I used weather striping to stop migration of sand and gold under. Through my flare/sluice I have 5 nuts and bolts with 2 of them sticking up inside that I slip the angle over and bolt down with wing nuts. On the longer bolts sticking up I do nut it then put the angle over the top then its wing nuted. The angle fits right in the mat grove.

IMG_20140430_203528.jpg

IMG_20140510_124051.jpg

IMG_20140510_124116.jpg

Last edited:

omnicron

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2012
Caldwell, Idaho
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well, the material that I have been running has no black sands, it's all garnet and granite sand. After many emails with the guys from GH it was determined that why I seen my mats running to clean was from the lack of heavy material ie: black sand. I'm going to a better place this weekend so I will know for sure. I do know I wish I had made my sluice wider, with how it's running, my water level is about 4", maybe a little to deep for the River Hog... I believe I'm not treating the "bed load" well enough and it may be flushing out. Once again, I'll know this weekend with better material.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Heck in the picture ,it looks like the mats are doing just fine!right now, im trying to finish up a small project for my son and then im going to take my new 2 inch dredge out to the Muddy Mississippi River and give it a go on some sand bar. maybe even drag a newbee along!

Sticks

May 22, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI, Dredge, M-7 wave table, Prospector Highbanker MD20
J.O.G Trommel
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
any recommendations on installing in a 3 stage keene and what type. The stuff looks great, but likewise can't figure out how to mount it. Short of flex sealing it to aluminum plates with quick clamps to hold in dredge. If there is a thread on gh matting in keene dredge please let me know. I don't believe the stock keene is set up very well. Must have cost you a fortune to line that trip 6"

omnicron

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2012
Caldwell, Idaho
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Honestly, a guy on the GH forum tried the mats in a 3 stage and couldn't get it to work right. My honest opinion is either leave it at a stock 3 stage or strip it down and do all river hog in one level. I'll tell you now that I have it dialed in, I'm catching down to -200 and beyond. You cant even see the gold without the aid of a magnifying glass.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread