Whats the best way to cut up pipe

OP
OP
DemonWolfe

DemonWolfe

Apr 11, 2008
Russell KS.
Ok, but is it better to buy a bunch of cheap blades, or better to buy a few good blades, like some dimond blades

kurt-ks

Apr 13, 2010
south central Kansas
Detector(s) used
E-Trac,F75ltd,Explorer Se,G2
I see your from Russell,is this oil field pipe?If so probably rusty,the best way would be a chop saw with a bunch of cheap blades(no diamond)the rust would eat them up or torch(not easy if rusted on inside).There is a good market for that pipe,guys use it for cattle guards and fence post.You could try Craig's list or purple wave.

OP
OP
DemonWolfe

DemonWolfe

Apr 11, 2008
Russell KS.
Tried it once, just to many people selling it, and it 2 7/8 inch, seems everyone wants 2 3/8 inch for building materials, only had 8 joints this time anyway, anyone out there in this area need a location cleaned up give me an email or something, ill clean up everything, even the trash, and yeah it was pretty rusty, but this time the torch did alright

wavecrazed

Jul 21, 2009
Orlando FLorida
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Excallibur 1000, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What about a two stroke concrete cutting saw? They are not cheap.

OP
OP
DemonWolfe

DemonWolfe

Apr 11, 2008
Russell KS.
Seen a cheap metal cutt off saw on harbor freights website, a 2 hp 14 inch on sale for $65, does anyone on here know if it would even be worth it even at that low price

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you cutting up the pipe for scrap, or are you using it for some purpose? In other words, do you need to be careful?

I use pipe in 2' lengths and use a horizontal metal cutting band saw. The cuts are nice (I have to pound them in), and it's fast. I can cut multiple pipes at the same time. The arm even comes down on it's own. I bought a chop saw and don't like it - it's too slow (and messy).

If you just want to hack the pipe into scrap pieces, a torch is probably your best bet despite it being hollow and tough to keep a cut going.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Harbor freight has a hand held power bandsaw too. If you wait till they have the 20% off coupons they're around $49. Blades are cheap. HINT when you're not using it release the tension knob so the rubber on the wheels doesn't get compressed. Cuts Tbar fence posts & 2" pipe like butter. Runs great even off my small generator. Think you'd be pleased!

silversaddle1

Dec 11, 2008
The torch is your friend. No other way is faster or cheaper. Use propane, just buy a new tip for your torch. Cheap as dirt to make cuts. Cut, cut, cut... cash!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread