Whats the cost for Loomis to pick up a bag? Pissed off a lying manager I think.

b_kauz

Jan 3, 2011
So just as the title says, anyone know what it cost for a bank to have a bag of change picked up?

Last week I had a run in with a branch manager. I had brought in three loads of coins over a two week period in the amounts of $629.98, $567 and $559.10, mainly dimes and halves. The first two dumps the tellers took them and deposited it no problem. On the last dump the teller lifts the bag and tells me she needs to grab her manager because the bag is too heavy for her. She leaves and returns with her manager and as he comes to the counter he is almost yelling (loud enough all the tellers stop what they are doing and look, along with other customers) at me asking me where I am getting all these bags of coins. Dumbfound and a little taken back I reply from different banks, you go ask for coins they will give you coins. He then states that he will process them this one last time and then after that he won't be doing it anymore and to take them back to the banks I get them at because it cost him $100 to get rid of these coins each time I bring a bag in. I find it hard to believe that it would cost between 15 & 17% to process these bags. My guess is he is just lazy and doesn't want the coin in his bank. So does anyone know what they charge?

Needless to say I wrote a nice long email to their director of bank branches about how this manager handled the situation and stated that I will never be doing business in that branch again and am still undecided on keeping my account with them.

Upvote 0

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have read here that most banks pay a monthly fee for coin pickup and delivery, regardless of how many coins.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It really does cost a lot, i know that for a fact. But as to how much, is beyond me. Nothing in this hobby is free on the banks end. One bank shuts you down, just go to the one down the road!
hh
buff

unclehuckelberry

Feb 11, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I've had tellers get mad at me when I've asked for CWRs. When you buy CWRs it saves the bank from having to ship them out, which I guess if they don't have a contract it would cost them every time they ship them out.

I think the real reason they don't want to sell me CWRs is because they are fat and lazy and don't want to get off their rump and do their job.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i've had some good luck recently asking for CWR's... "i'll buy any rolls your willing to spare without shorting you"...
I've had tellers get mad at me when I've asked for CWRs. When you buy CWRs it saves the bank from having to ship them out, which I guess if they don't have a contract it would cost them every time they ship them out.

I think the real reason they don't want to sell me CWRs is because they are fat and lazy and don't want to get off their rump and do their job.

unclehuckelberry

Feb 11, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Most of the time the tellers are nice and more than willing to help. Whenever I ask for halves they always want to get rid of them and tell me they'll sell me all of them as long as I don't bring them back.

The question I hate the most is "how much do you want" because then it breaks down to trying to guess how much I can get. Most of the time they'll sell me all of them since they already have boxes in the vault for business customers.

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
It should not cost the individual branch one cent, there is not a thing the 'manager' can do, and it won't affect him, or his job, by sending in coins. If I were you, I'd call the branch and try to get him fired, have them review the video of him screaming. tell them if action is not taken against this 'manager', you are going to close your account.

Bigheed

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
there is a monthly fee depending on how many times per week they pickup and how much you can send off. My biggest dump bank can send out 15 bags per day, thats the most brinks will take from the bank per day.

Overall its not that much, I did some research on it myself to see if I could work directly with an armored car service. The only problem is I don't own a business with a physical address, they will not deliver to residential addresses for security reasons.

It worked out to like $1.50 to $2.00 per bag depending on how much volume you wanted to do. Also keep in mind a bag is $1000 for halves (bag is always double a "box") so there is a real advantage to doing it that way if you had somewhere to deliver it you could do massive volume. Of course, if you actually owned and ran your own business you probably wouldn't have time to do massive CRHing haha.

Long Story short is that manager was being a complete deuche face to you and you should get in contact with the regional manager. I would also keep dumping there in massive amounts, have the manager show you in the schedule of fees for a regular customer account where it says coin processing is 15-17%. He sounds like a total jerk so we will undoubtedly try to scare you again, at which point you should play your cards and say I have already contacted your regional manager in regards to your rude personal behavior, and I now going to file a formal complaint when I get home with the OCC in regards to you trying to scam and lie to me about processing my coins.

If you are not familiar, Office of the Comptroller of Currency is the OCC, it is the federal agency that governs all public banking institutions to "follow the rules". The last thing a bank manager wants is a bunch of OCC grievances filed against them.

You can file the complaint directly on the OCC website.

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
Long Story short is that manager was being a complete deuche face to you and you should get in contact with the regional manager. I would also keep dumping there in massive amounts, have the manager show you in the schedule of fees for a regular customer account where it says coin processing is 15-17%. He sounds like a total jerk so we will undoubtedly try to scare you again, at which point you should play your cards and say I have already contacted your regional manager in regards to your rude personal behavior, and I now going to file a formal complaint when I get home with the OCC in regards to you trying to scam and lie to me about processing my coins.

If you are not familiar, Office of the Comptroller of Currency is the OCC, it is the federal agency that governs all public banking institutions to "follow the rules". The last thing a bank manager wants is a bunch of OCC grievances filed against them.

You can file the complaint directly on the OCC website.

Homie, this is even better than what I had in mind. I can't wait till the next time a bank causes me trouble. I know slim shady going to report 5/3 bank!
Thanks again homeslice and OP of the thread, keep this in mind, this man (bigheed) is #1 in the world of coining/rollin if'n you ask me

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So just as the title says, anyone know what it cost for a bank to have a bag of change picked up?

Last week I had a run in with a branch manager. I had brought in three loads of coins over a two week period in the amounts of $629.98, $567 and $559.10, mainly dimes and halves. The first two dumps the tellers took them and deposited it no problem. On the last dump the teller lifts the bag and tells me she needs to grab her manager because the bag is too heavy for her. She leaves and returns with her manager and as he comes to the counter he is almost yelling (loud enough all the tellers stop what they are doing and look, along with other customers) at me asking me where I am getting all these bags of coins. Dumbfound and a little taken back I reply from different banks, you go ask for coins they will give you coins. He then states that he will process them this one last time and then after that he won't be doing it anymore and to take them back to the banks I get them at because it cost him $100 to get rid of these coins each time I bring a bag in. I find it hard to believe that it would cost between 15 & 17% to process these bags. My guess is he is just lazy and doesn't want the coin in his bank. So does anyone know what they charge?

Needless to say I wrote a nice long email to their director of bank branches about how this manager handled the situation and stated that I will never be doing business in that branch again and am still undecided on keeping my account with them.

As others have stated, there are different fee schedules for different banks and branches when it comes to ordering/processing coins. Some very large banks probably pay a flat fee regardless of the amount. Most banks in my area pay a flat fee up to a certain number of bags/boxes, and then have to pay extra per bag/box for any over that amount. But, if they do not need to order, there is no fee...which is why I don't get boxes on the weeks they do not need to order. Some banks just simply pay as they go - a set fee per box/bag.

There is no way that you'll ever know exactly how much your dumping costs this particular branch. But, there are definitely fees incurred by that branch (or any bank) when you dump. No doubt the manager of that particular branch is under tremendous pressure by his "higher ups" to keep expenses to a minimum and profits as high as possible...just like any business. He absolutely has the right to deny you dumping privileges, although I do highly disagree with his manner of handling of the situation. He should have called you into his office for a private conversation instead of doing it in front of everyone. I do agree that you had every right to fire in an email to their corporate office over the manner in which you were treated. However, while this email might get you unlimited dumping privileges in the future, depending on the size of your account(s) and/or loans with this particular bank, his superiors may well agree that you are costing the bank more than your accounts are worth and they'll instruct him to close your accounts and you'll lose your privileges at every branch of this particular bank.

You have to pick your battles wisely, and sometimes you have to look at the big picture. Take this example: There is a branch of a bank near me in which the head teller will not sell me a single roll of coins, or even "swap out" an equal amount. When I have asked, she has rudely stated that, "Those are for customers!" Well, I am a customer. Between myself, my parents, and my grandparents we have a fairly sizeable amount of deposits in their bank. She is loud, rude, and obnoxious. She absolutely deserves to be reported. However, at their branch across town they have a coin machine at which I have absolutely unlimited dumping privileges. They have told me on numerous occasions that I can dump as much as I want, as often as I want, and it will never be a problem. I've been using them for about 3 years now and they have been 100% true to their word. So, even though the very rude head teller at the one branch deserves to be reported, I feel as though I potentially have much more to lose than I could ever gain by attempting to get her reprimanded for her behavior. So, I just simply avoid the branch at which the grumpy old hag works.

Only you can decide when the risk is worth the potential reward. The true art of CRHing is being able to finesse banks into doing what you want them to do. Sometimes that means just ignoring and avoiding certain tellers, managers, branches, and/or banks. Generally speaking, the more attention you draw upon yourself - regardless if you are 100% in the right - will only hurt you in the long run.

Eminem

Banned
Jul 20, 2012
Motor City
Detector(s) used
Not sure
Primary Interest:
Other
b_kauz said:

Dawg follow my guide. If I were you I would file a lawsuit because they are discriminating against you have having more coin than the average homie. If that manager had yelled at me I woulda chucked a roll at his head and told him to deal with it. These stupid managers man...

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Too many comments her to reply individually. YES, all banks have contracts and unless you deposited in a hole-in-the-wall bank it cost nothing extra for those bags to be picked up.

I once had an account with a bank and right in their customer brochure it stated how much cash OR coin could be deposited daily. Don't remember how much now but it was in the thousands. I asked about it and the teller said they have a contract with the armored card service.

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
$5 per bag is the cost I was quoted to dump unlimited. Turned it down, of course, and I can still dump moderate amounts.

Only you can decide when the risk is worth the potential reward. The true art of CRHing is being able to finesse banks into doing what you want them to do. Sometimes that means just ignoring and avoiding certain tellers, managers, branches, and/or banks. Generally speaking, the more attention you draw upon yourself - regardless if you are 100% in the right - will only hurt you in the long run.

Good advice, as usual. I have a similar situation: 7 branches of a bank I dump at frequently, spreading them around. 2 of the branches the tellers are complete jerks, and I would love to screw them over. However, I always treat them with kindness, smile at them, and thank them for their help, as it's not worth the chance of getting cut off at the other 5 branches. As ArkieBassMan said, you have to choose your battles. That generally means don't battle unless your back is to the wall.

penman77

Dec 11, 2011
Eastern North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dawg follow my guide. If I were you I would file a lawsuit because they are discriminating against you have having more coin than the average homie. If that manager had yelled at me I woulda chucked a roll at his head and told him to deal with it. These stupid managers man...

How old are you?

1. No attorney would accept your "lawsuit".

2. Grown ups can be put in jail for throwing a roll of coins at someone.

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I have 1 branch of my dump bank that absolutely refuses to exchange any boxes of rerolled halves for cash for me, even though all the other branches do it and it is their policy to, I debated it a few seconds with the vault teller and then just said no problem and left, I came on here and asked if I should complain or not ( its in my threads) most of the advice was to just move on and not run the risk of messing up my dumping at any of my other branches. So I waited 2 weeks and decided to start putting this branch into my cycle of order banks, I picked up the phone and called them 2 weeks later and ordered halves from them and no can do that when ever I want.

The point is, if you can use them in some other way then do it, if they are related to any of you other banks in your system and can inadvertanly effect that system in anyway, let it go and use them for something else ( order bank). This also enabled my to search 2 different carriers coins now too, win win for me and maybe you too. Good luck, Maverick.

cooper36

Nov 30, 2011
east coast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had problems with several banks. I have found other branches of this bank that will take the dumps and order halfs that produce. I use the branches that work with me and try to avoid the ones that don't for coin roll hunting.I do show up every once in a while and ask for a couple rolls of dimes to the ones that give me problems just to let them know they cant stop me from rolling. Good luck on what you decide.
cooper36

Dark

Aug 6, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This guy sounds like a jerk and his behavior would have definitely made me uncomfortable even if I was just another customer in line.
He does not belong in a customer service position if a couple grand in coins over 2 weeks is enough to set him off.
Maybe he was having a bad day, but that is no excuse to be so rude.
If I were in your position I would go in and talk to him about his behavior. Don't even mention the coins because that is not the issue. Tell him you are very upset with the way you were treated and if he isn't willing to apologize then you will go above him.

PS - bring a couple rolls of kennedy's in case things start to get physical.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread