MuckyBottles

Bronze Member
Jun 19, 2013
Bone Valley, Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was that with a metal detector or with a methane detector??:laughing7::tongue1:

Frank

Neither, 4 guys, shovels, block & tackle and buckets full of goodies. ..you couldn't even imagine what's pulled out of old sh-- holes in the 5 boroughs...guns,coins, bottles, medical equipment, buttons, buckles...

The OP stated "what's the deepest coin you've ever dug" ..so I answered. .

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Neither, 4 guys, shovels, block & tackle and buckets full of goodies. ..you couldn't even imagine what's pulled out of old sh-- holes in the 5 boroughs...guns,coins, bottles, medical equipment, buttons, buckles...

The OP stated "what's the deepest coin you've ever dug" ..so I answered. .

At 27 feet, that was sure a lot of crap to go through!???:laughing7:

Frank

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a lot of you guys like to detect beaches. I was referring to detecting in fields or in the woods. Never cared much for beach detecting. The last time I did it, I found quite a few wheaties, but they were so corroded I couldn't get a date off of any of them! I'll stick to the fields and the woods, thank you.

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Earlier in the year, I dug a silver quarter with my CTX between 10-11 inches deep. I didn't get a good readout, but it sounded good. The only reason I kept digging was that I had set my Makro PP to the highest sensitivity and I could just pinpoint it. I uncovered it at the bottom of the hole and was kind of dumbfounded.

Few years ago, I was routinely digging clad and silver with my AT Pro between 8-9 inches. I dug a clad penny at the 9" mark and was surprised.

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The one that sticks in my mind was a clad quarter at 9" while using a BH 202. The coin was in a water runoff section of a sports field, and had about a golf ball sized green halo around it. I only dug the signal out of curiosity as I knew it must be a can at that depth but I was getting such a strong clear quarter signal from the 202 that I just had to check it out. So, I was kind of astounded to recover a quarter, and checked the depth with the measuring marker on my digger, which showed at 10 inches, my digger has lost an inch of metal over the years, so actually a solid 9 inches.

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DigIron2,

I am not so sure about the newer digital technology metal detectors but the older analog technology metal detectors are somewhat known for loss of depth due to the electronics creeping off signal or off frequency. The circuits that set both signal strength (outgoing and incoming) and frequency on the older analog metal detectors should have a adjustable oscillator circuits that are set to the specifications for the machine. These oscillators circuits in metal detectors just like frequency oscillator circuits and/or frequency crystals (in the older models) creep off the specification settings with time and need to be adjusted occasionally and/or replaced. If you have the diagrams and specifications for the electronics boards in a metal detector as well as the electronics equipment to test/measure these circuits, you could then fine tune the metal detector back to it's original specifications. Some repair technicians actually know how far outside of those factory specifications that these oscillator circuits can be tuned to give a metal detector a hot tune so that it will detect targets much deeper than they would using the standard factory specifications. I would recommend finding a metal detector repair technician that is familiar with tuning and hot tuning metal detectors and have these adjustments done on your' metal detector. Another less known modification to metal detectors that most knowledgeable metal detector repair technicians can make on metal detectors is to add on signal amplifiers to specific circuits to boost the outgoing and incoming signals. The key is to install signal amplifiers that can be powered by it's own individual battery pack or if wired into the metal detector's power source (it's battery pack or packs), that it will put very little drain on the power for the key circuits in the metal detector.

As far as recommendations for a newer metal detector is concerned, I believe that the XP Deus is a great choice but if you can afford it, then I would recommend a Minelab CTX 3030. If you want to go with a great but older machine that is affordable, then I would recommend a Minelab Sovereign Elite as they are awesome deep seeking machines.

Good luck!

Frank
I really don't know anyone that knows anything about it unfortunately.I wonder if i send it to Texas to the Fisher company,and explained the problem and what you mentioned if they would do that for me?I tellya,I wish I knew someone like you close by.Man, I was looking at the prices on them Duex's:o good God almighty they are up there.Way out of my budget,better be a good machine for that kind of money.Guess I am gonna have to figure something out.I appreciate it Frank!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread