Whats the latest with sub bottom profiling?

rssharpetx

Sep 6, 2006
Re: What's the latest with sub bottom profiling?

We will have a towed resistivity system out for shallow water soon. We currently have deep water system that is towed with rov. (900m depth) Array is 1km long but shallow water system will have 100m array and looks very encouraging! I will forward some sample data as soon as I can release public...etc. We still carry tried and true multi freq, sub-bottom.....rentals sales etc....Next time i get up in your area i would be happy to demo...just pick spot and have a boat. We have been slammed with oil spill work. Hope all is well....best regards.......www.specialtydevices.com

bronzecannons

Sep 1, 2005
Oceanside, CA
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

I have worked with sub bottom profilers both in shipwreck searches and also when working in the offshore oilfield industry (looking for buried pipelines, etc.).

One I recently used on a shipwreck search was the Stratabox (made by Ocean Data Equipment Corp.). Its easy to use and not too expensive. You mount it on the side of your boat (see photos). You can see some info on the Stratabox here: http://www.syqwestinc.com/stratabox/index.html

Tony

Attachments

• StrataBox01x800.jpg
    StrataBox01x800.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 1,117
  • P4290024x600.jpg
    P4290024x600.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 699
OP
OP
Darren in NC

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

Thanks, Tony, for the tip. Anyone else use this Stratabox or anything similar? As best I can tell, it runs about 12k, which is dirt cheap, but you also get what you pay for. Anything else under the radar out there?

old man

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2003
East Coast

Darren, We used the stratabox in Key West a few years ago. It worked pretty good and was easy to operated.

OP
OP
Darren in NC

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

Okay geophysical guys, I'm learning here, so tell me...what's the advantage of resistivity imaging versus sub-bottom profiling?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread