What's the single most important feature on each detector you have?

Tahoegold

Mar 7, 2016
Carson City, NV
Detector(s) used
Compadre, Gold Racer, White's TRX,Bazooka GT 24",God Hog mats,Grizzly Gold Trap Motherload, Harbor freight 9 function, Cintech pinpointer, Determination
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have recently picked up a Harbor freight 9 function metal detector. The single reason why I chose this was the tone break feature. I can pull coins and rings out of a nail pile.
On my Gold Racer, it's the ability to hear the tiny bits I'm looking for. So, it's 56k frequency is why I have that for prospecting.
For the Compadre, it's the pure simplicity. One knob. I can detect in the beach while looking around at the beautiful scenery and thumb the disc without even looking down.
I have the Cintech pinpointer to go with the HF9 because it's inexpensive. And it works good enough for coins.
I have the Whites TRX because of it's depth of detection. I like to know if the target is at least within a few inches, on coins. It hits on gold ok too! (Water proof is second but necessary on the river prospecting.)
There is my primary reasons for each. What's your reason for yours?

Upvote 0

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Reliability & build quality! Sadly, not something often found in today's detectors. All the technology and features in the world don't mean much when you can't count on the machine from one day to the next. I can roll my Excal in the surf and it will keep right on running, on the other hand, my Nox, the CTX, pretty much have to handle them like eggs and hope they aren't going to leak every time you drown them in even mild water conditions. So reliability and build quality are #1 in my book.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the guy swinging it - if he's no good ...the best machine in the world aint gonna matter :tongue3:

Nevada Prospector

Aug 16, 2017
Southern Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro, Garrett AT Pro, Fisher GB II, Etc, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Other
I started years ago with a BFO detector so I would have to say having ground balance is real important with VDI being a close second. These days any detector worth bringing home should have some kind of ground balance feature.

CCDAMEEK

Aug 5, 2019
central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX 300;
Tesoro Tiger Shark;
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Reliability & build quality! Sadly, not something often found in today's detectors. All the technology and features in the world don't mean much when you can't count on the machine from one day to the next. I can roll my Excal in the surf and it will keep right on running, on the other hand, my Nox, the CTX, pretty much have to handle them like eggs and hope they aren't going to leak every time you drown them in even mild water conditions. So reliability and build quality are #1 in my book.

I have to agree that reliability is a key factor, but totally disagree on your assessment of the CTX! I have had my CTX 3 years now, and I have to tell Ya, this machine is battle tested! Good Grief, the very FIRST time I used it, I took it into the ocean. I spent 3 hours with it submerged, only to finally realize I never screwed on the the cap on the back of the control unit that seals the USB connection port from the water! I thought for sure that I killed the machine the first time out. Not only did the machine never blink that day, after getting it back home and dousing it with fresh water and electronics cleaner spray to try to get the salt out of the port, this CTX is still working perfectly.
I did have a bad speaker which Minelab repaired free, but I have played rough with my CTX, and it takes a lick'n and keeps on beep'n!

CCDAMEEK

Aug 5, 2019
central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX 300;
Tesoro Tiger Shark;
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think my list of most important features would be like this:
1) Target ID indicators. Having multiple ID indicators (VDI numbers, icons, sound, chart/graph, etc). Helps with your decision to dig or not.
2) Waterproof or water resistant. Even if you never intend to get the detector into a body of water, water happens (dew, rain, etc).
3)
Reliability.
4) Ground balance, and sensitivity adjustable.

5) Multi Frequency operation.
6) Portability. Collapsible or easy to break down for transporting.

midalake

Bronze Member
Aug 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Feature/Ability.

I just require a detector to be able to run clean on the edge. Many can not.

DouglasPaul

Greenie
Jul 7, 2021
Monroe WA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have recently picked up a Harbor freight 9 function metal detector. The single reason why I chose this was the tone break feature. I can pull coins and rings out of a nail pile.
On my Gold Racer, it's the ability to hear the tiny bits I'm looking for. So, it's 56k frequency is why I have that for prospecting.
For the Compadre, it's the pure simplicity. One knob. I can detect in the beach while looking around at the beautiful scenery and thumb the disc without even looking down.
I have the Cintech pinpointer to go with the HF9 because it's inexpensive. And it works good enough for coins.
I have the Whites TRX because of it's depth of detection. I like to know if the target is at least within a few inches, on coins. It hits on gold ok too! (Water proof is second but necessary on the river prospecting.)
There is my primary reasons for each. What's your reason for yours?

I see two pinpointers a HF, one is a 9V for $39.99 and the other one is $14.47. Which one are you using?

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mine detects metal... preferably gold, silver, jewelry and coins! :headbang:

bcloud

Tenderfoot
Apr 7, 2013
Odessa, TX
Detector(s) used
White's XLT, DFX 300, Equinox 800, Vanquish 540, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the guy swinging it - if he's no good ...the best machine in the world aint gonna matter :tongue3:

So very true!!! The number one reason many detectors are sold so quickly after purchase.

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What's the single most important feature on each detector you have? Well I would have to say is that when you turn it on that it works. If it does not work then all the desired features do not matter. Reliable equipment should be the first rule.

Sandcrab

Jun 14, 2021
Oceanside CA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Coiltek 10x5 and 15, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Multi-frequency is important to me because it allows me to use it in the wet sand at the beach.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread