Whats the story on 1970 quarters?

Rocsteddie

Jun 17, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
View attachment 1323621 View attachment 1323620
Theyare stamped over 1941 Canadian Quarters Your 1970 quarter could be worth thousands | KGW.com

Who are they? Collectors? And how is this possible? Did a worker at the San Francisco oops! now it was minted in Denver just through a hand full 1941 Canada quarters in with blanks. And why is this coin coming to light now when it was supposedly minted in 1970. sounds like a collector conspiracy. That would make them counterfeit and illegal. Big Bucks or Big BS? JMO. Someone needs to show me both sides of this coin with a CoA. There were 53 bidders and one that is going to be very disappointed with their $89 win. Jus-sayn!

Last edited:

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The article I read on a fox website said that the coin was confiscated by the state of California and then legally sold at public auction.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Here is one (at the link below) being sold by Mike Byers on eBay and it is certified and graded by NGC as a PF-65, so the Error is a legit Error. Also, Mike Byers is a well known Error/Variety Coin Expert, longtime Dealer of such and great guy that I have consulted and had many conversations with over the years. Possibly an intentional Error made by a Mint Employee but I guess it is possible that these errors occurred by accident. The sad thing about this find, is that there are a lot of unscrupulous Sellers on eBay trying to deceive naïve Coin Collectors and Coin Collector/Wannabees into buying their' 1970 Quarters for high dollars just by listing many of them at the same time at high prices. I hope no one falls for this Scam!

1970 s Proof Washington Quarter Struck on 1941 Canada Quarter NGC PF 65 | eBay

Frank

Last edited:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
You know, I've been thinking about this story off and on all day. It seems that there is a general sense of foul play or wrong-doing involved, when it MIGHT have actually been an honest mistake. It's entirely possible that someone who was working with the blanks back then accidentally dropped some on the floor - maybe even more than "some". In trying to pick up the blanks, is it not possible that a Canadian quarter accidentally got thrown in with the blanks?

ajaj

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2012
Orange, Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Minelab eTrac
Minelab Excalibur 8"
Makro Racer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I first read about this eBay listing from some news site. I had to laugh a little when several news sites stated, to the effect of, that the bidding was up to $35,000. It's not, the Buy It Now price is $35,000, so, there are no bids. A little steep?...maybe, but I'm a firm believer in capitalism and I hope Mike sells it for a great price. I put this auction on my Watch List for shoots and giggles.

aj

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure why this coin made the news - there are many more notable main-stream / popular error coins that someone could actually find if they publicized them. This is an obscure proof that will probably never be found by a layperson. They should hype up the '69S Dbldie Lincoln - a coin or two might turn up if enough people knew about it.

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Years ago you could still find 1970 error quarters in circulation. The error is that the planchets were cut on dime stock and therefore much thinner than a normal quarter. I have several that I found in circulation back in the 80's.
As far as this new thing? I'm a little leary!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread