yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Isn't that beautiful?! I haven't got a clue, but I know someone here will. Thanks for showing it- you'll get your answer here soon, I'm sure ;) Yakker

Upvote 0
OP
OP
leftyb17

leftyb17

Jan 7, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ohio is known, for flourite so id guess it is flourite, it almost looks like slag glasss though.

I know it does look like glass.But I just thought what a weird coincidence that the rock is the same color as the "glass".And that there appears to be "floating" rock in the glass.I really dont know anything about slag glass but would be interested if it were glass how would it have gotten fussed into the rock like that and did the rock make the glass green or did the glass make the rock green?

Upvote 0

woof!

Bronze Member
Dec 12, 2010
ciudadano del universo, residente de El Paso TX
Detector(s) used
BS detector
Primary Interest:
Other
In the photo the green stuff looks to me like it's crystalline, perhaps Lefty can clarify? The fracture isn't conchoidal, it's not slag. The remark that the rock is unusually heavy suggests that the mineral is a heavy metal ore. The original geological setting it broke loose from was almost certainly metamorphic or intrusive igneous. If the area it was found is glacial moraine, the rock itself may have come from a very long distance away.

All in all, a remarkable specimen to find just laying in a creek bed without a known association with local geology. `

Last edited:
Upvote 0

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think its slag either. Slag wouldn't have crystals in it. Nice paper weight size, very colorful.

Upvote 0

Flick420

Jan 14, 2011
I said it almost looks like slag glass... not that it is slag glass!
My first guess is that its fluorite, and id standby that. whatever crystal structure was there, is now damaged though. Some sort of calcite seems like a reasonable guess too. Without getting a local geologist more familiar with your region to look at it i dont think anyone can really provide much of an answer other then guesses.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread