Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I love my ace 350 and was thinking about upgrading but the at pro just sounds really tough to figure out. I'm attracted to water resistant. And I have have only used garrett detectors and fond of them I guess. Is the pro just a pain in the arse?
Nope! Not at all. The early ones ones had some issues. Mainly from the faulty coils as I understand it.

Great machines! Nothing wrong with the ATP!

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's the easiest detector to learn I've ever used. No problems here.

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seems like I hear of lots of issues as well, but I honestly think it is because he machine has become so popular. From what I see on Tnet there has probably seldom if ever been a machine that has become popular so fast. I think it is a matter of sheer numbers. Many of are guilty of dissatisfaction with a machine when in reality it is simply a lack of target and not the machine. I can personally attest to being guilty of doubting a good machine in a bad area. I know it makes no sense, but I was getting a little discouraged with my G2 and not finding any coins in some early 1800's sites. I knew that if I was finding tons of flat buttons and CW relics it would also find coins but caved in to the jinxed machine mindset. Finally couldn't take it and got a T2. Love em both and have finally figured out that the sites simply have little or no coins in them. Still beating a couple of them, bound and determined to get at least one coin from the era. A target rich site will certainly make you love a machine and visa versa. HH:icon_thumleft:

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most Problems are from User error...I love mt ATP and learn things every day

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Exactly!!! This is my first detector, before it arrived I watched hours of video, both Garrett Instructional, and You Tube hunting videos and read the manual I don't know how many times When I got my hands on it, I have not had one problem operating this machine, and quite successfully, I might add:laughing7:
Most Problems are from User error...I love mt ATP and learn things every day

Last edited:

SoCalBeachScanner

Aug 17, 2013
Coastal Orange County, CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATX, AT Pro, ProPointer, and a weirdly good sense of direction
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
-
What I've noticed with most AT Pro issues that people have with their detectors (or any detector) stems from not knowing how a detector works and what effects the way they work. Along with fact there are just a lot of AT Pros out there, so there is more posting of issues.

Understand the basics and it will all come together when troubleshooting.

Last edited:
OP
OP
adaminnh

adaminnh

Oct 8, 2012
Franklin new Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Ace 150
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for all that input folks. There definitely are a lot of pro users out there. What would some performance differences be to expect from ace350 to the pro? Should I start another thread for that?

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
There aren't any common issues with the AT Series currently.....

Sapper724

May 28, 2013
Northwestern WI
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO (Current)
Minelab Etrac (Current)
Garrett Pro Pointer
Sampson 31" Digger

Fisher F2 (RIP)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I love my ace 350 and was thinking about upgrading but the at pro just sounds really tough to figure out. I'm attracted to water resistant. And I have have only used garrett detectors and fond of them I guess. Is the pro just a pain in the arse?

They're a tough unit. It's going to be your best bang for your buck. I upgraded from mine to an Etrac, but I still love my AT Pro. Is it hard to learn? No, but you do have to put some time and effort into learning it, and be patient. Remember, you get what you put in. The only thing I'd change is the coil. The 5x8 is a beast. No major problems with mine, and I used it a ton this year. You won't regret upgrading to it. Plus, if something should go wrong with it, Garrett's customer service is top notch. Also, with so many people using the AT Pro now, there's a huge network of support on the forums to help with questions. Take your time, learn your audio, and enjoy! Its a solid, capable machine! HH!

Ron

sask hunter

Aug 26, 2013
yorkton saskatchewan
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter tro/bfo
ace 250
teknetics 4000
atp pro
minelab ctx 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Loved my atp pro , odd time it would go bananas but overall a great unit, if I could of kept both I would have in a heartbeat , had the 5x8 coil that lived up to all the great reviews , was great in the water (fresh) , battery life was very good , depth was also very good, light , well balanced, only thing I wish the display had bigger numbers etc , but hunted by sound mostly and the iron audio was a killer feature! I would not hesitate to recommend this to anyone

D.A.D.D.-Dads against daughters dating

paul of Penna

Feb 1, 2011
PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado umax
Garrett AT PRO
Vibrapaobe Pinpointer
Whites Classic III
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The atp speaks to me......not literaly but I have gone over some of my worn out spots with it since I got it this summer, and have found more silver coins this year than I ever thought I would considering that I'd used a whites classic III sl, a tesoro eldorado umax already on these sites, sometimes several trips there before. I am very very happy with my at pro. I did buy the 5x8 coil.....and am sure that helped alot, as I hunt wooded areas pretty much all the time. I used it at fresh water beaches (2) and found some silver bracelets, coins, and of course trash. Also I've dug more nickels and brass buttons this year than most years ever.
Don't be afraid to buy one.....IMHO it's the best technology you can get for the money. My bud has an e-trac, and the atp will hold its own....but his e-trac goes deeper, but it's got a huge coil on it, and I use my 5x8 alomst exclusively.
Paul of Penna

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all that input folks. There definitely are a lot of pro users out there. What would some performance differences be to expect from ace350 to the pro? Should I start another thread for that?

Adam,

There are a lot of performance differences. The ground balance capability for mineralization allows the detector to perform in most soil conditions. It has more depth, target ID numbers, iron audio and pro audio. It's fully waterproof. It's a significant upgrade, but still easy to use. Give me a call if I can help you in your decision.

Wayne

(832) 928-9135

www.metaldetectingstuff.com

OP
OP
adaminnh

adaminnh

Oct 8, 2012
Franklin new Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Ace 150
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Adam,

There are a lot of performance differences. The ground balance capability for mineralization allows the detector to perform in most soil conditions. It has more depth, target ID numbers, iron audio and pro audio. It's fully waterproof. It's a significant upgrade, but still easy to use. Give me a call if I can help you in your decision.

Wayne

(832) 928-9135

www.metaldetectingstuff.com

Thanks. I appreciate that.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Easy to learn,hard to beat in the feild,hard to beat price

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Some of the reason you see so many problems is in reflection on how many are sold and the fact that many are new dirt fishers. Starting with a AT Pro can be difficult for some. AWESOME machines but not for everyone.

badpenny

Mar 28, 2013
NE PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not a hiccup with mine. I know a lot of people buy a detector think they are going to hit the mother-load and when it doesn't happen they get discouraged and think they got a bad machine. Hey, the world needs post hole diggers too... just kidding guys.

Trackerman

Jan 23, 2009
Detector(s) used
Whites Dual Field Pi/Whites Dfx/ Garrett At Pro/Garrett Ace 250/ Whites M6/ Detector Pro Pirate /Tesoro Sand Shark/
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV/ Bounty Hunter Tracker II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At pro is easy to use and learn and it finds the goods. Ive found more with this beast than any other detector I've used.
I wouldn't trade mine for any Etrac or any other machine for that matter. Its hot on rings and is weather proof what more could you ask for.

CoinHunterAZ

Feb 18, 2013
Flagstaff, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sidewinder Umax, Garrett ATPro, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I started MD using a Tesoro, so going from it to the ATP in Pro Mode Zero was an easy transition. I would recommend for any noobs to start in Pro Mode, and skip trying to learn the machine in STD Mode. It will drive you crazy. When I tried using my ATP in STD mode at my "hunted out park", I wanted to wrap it around a tree. I couldn't stand it. Start in PRO ZERO and just take the time to learn the machine. I think too many new users just get frustrated when they buy the machine and don't find a seated half after using the machine for a couple of hours.

Dtektor

Jan 3, 2012
Eastern NC
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero w/ 9x8 & 5.75 coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i will have to agree with all the above comments. I came very close to trading my 2 month old AT Pro that I had only puy 4 hrs on for a Tesora Tejon. I decided for several reason not to trade but it was no fault of the owner or the Tejon, just my indecisiveness as to where I am going with my MD'ing right now. I hunted with a Tesoro for a year prior to buying the AT Pro and I will say they are very different machines but both very good at what they do.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread