luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes, it is a form of mineralization that the detector is sensitive to. Often encountered in areas where gold is present as well as others. Another nuisance factor, but not as common as pull tabs thank goodness.
Luvsdux

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can be troubled by "cold" rocks as well. They are both stones/pebbles/rocks that have a marked difference in conductive minerals than the surrounding soil the detector has been balanced to. One indication of hot rocks is that they can null the threshold in an all metal mode.

Jun 11, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was down in OBX this June 2012 around Kitty Hawk beach and found these rocks which respond well to a magnet, and will respond to a detector. I assume these constitute some of the "hot rocks" class. But what I would like to know is what exactly are these rocks in particular - depicted in my pics below? These are washing up on the sand - found at the surface.

Picture of all the rocks found

Sanded interior view of them

If anyone knows, please do post here? Many thanks.

Last edited:

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Given the rust on your rock I'd say it has some iron content....looks like steel slag when sanded.

Al

Jun 11, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

leprechaun

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030; The only metal detector I'll ever need
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting