Whats up?

CaptainPooka

Greenie
Feb 3, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What's up?

Hey guys! I'm from south Texas, own some land, and want to detect! I own some land on a river - a river that only flows when it rains. None the less I want to run a metal detector up and down it. Metal Detecting has always interested me. I've just never bought one...

Anyway, I would like some input from you guys on what to buy. I've looked up many guides over the last few weeks on the different types and they all stated that you really need to buy one based on what you want to detect. They also stated not to get a really expensive first detector, but not to cheap out. I'm the kind of guy that goes overboard with his hobbies. It's cold down here now, in the 40s and 50s, but when it warms up I'll be improving the land part time and detecting for the other part. I figure I probably won't find anything where I'm detecting, but what I want to detect pretty much lines up with what struck my interest when I was a kid 15 years ago. Old coins and gold (who wasn't interested in this as a kid?)

Just to give more details so you experts can recommend something:

The river has a sand bottom. The sand (of course) builds up on the outsides of the curves and the insides are pretty deep in some places. So perhaps I'll get the tip of the detector wet? Maybe 2' down? Wouldn't imagine going any deeper because I would have to dig under there. Unless, of course, that's a good place to detect. I'm new at this, so I have no idea!
The land around the river is sand in some locations, soft dirt in most places, and this black super sticky clay (do they call that black gumbo? It's TERRIBLE on your shoes after it rains!)

That's really about it. For the first long while of using this detector I imagine it'll be on land and down in the river bed. All in the location I described above. I have more than enough surface area to keep me occupied for a long time and I own both sides of the river.

I want to spend around $300. This one has a water proof coil, five year warranty, but only powered by one 9volt battery? I mean... I'll carry extra in my pocket, but that seems kind of weak. Excellent reviews.. The link is below:
Bounty Hunter Platinum Metal Detector | Shop | Features | Reviews | MetalDetector.com

Thanks guys!

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Treasurenet from Spring TX

You might want to spend a little more and get a detector with ground balance capabilities, that will allow the detector to adjust to the minerals in the soil.

Consider the Garrett At Pro, it's a great relic machine- and it's fully water proof if you trip in the river.
Wayne

www.metaldetectingstuff.com

Last edited:

wvwildman

Silver Member
Jan 3, 2013
fayette county wv
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, 5X8 DD, white's coin master pro, 4X6 DD, garrett propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
welcome to the forum HH

OP
OP
C

CaptainPooka

Greenie
Feb 3, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looking at reviews I may jump up to an AT pro. I'm not interested in searching only a few inches down... sounds like the AT pro is twice as good (and twice the price). That's fine... if that's what it costs to MD than so be it :)

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
check on the ACE models... my 350 has not disappointed me.

ThTx

Dec 19, 2006
Combine
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Master Hunter CX Plus, Teknetics G2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcoome to T'net. I have to warn you , though - detecting can be very addicting! If I can help you in making a detector choice don't hesitate to PM or email me. Or I answer the office phone listed from 8 - 5 Mon 0 Fri. Call and we will talk detecting.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector.gif
Welcome aboard! Take a look at Sub-Forums: Texas for information (i.e., clubs, etc.) directly related to your state.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like a (plan).
If you don't want to pay for the At pro, maybe a Tesoro Brand might (suit yer fancy).
Life Time warranty & they sell a type that would suit your needs IMO
(but they have no , Lying VDI # Screen) , if thats what you want.
Good Luck
Davers :thumbsup:

NoBootyYet

Dec 3, 2013
Birmingham, Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome from Birmingham, Alabama. This is a great place to share safe, effective treasure hunting information. Good luck and we look forward to seeing your cool finds.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread