NuggetN8

Mar 13, 2012
Northern California
Detector(s) used
SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What's Watching You? O_O

After prospecting alone for a while and feeling that eerie feeling of something or somebody watching me.. I decided to put out some trail cams in the woods around my to keep an eye on what critters are watching me while I'm prospecting. Not that I'm worried about animals attacking me or anything, I'm just curious to see what's out there. I've never seen an animal while prospecting except little animals like squirrels and birds & snakes etc. I'll be putting these out every time I go out so if I get any more I'll post them to the same thread. This first one came around a few hours after I put the camera out. Wasn't expecting to get anything on camera the first day.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
NuggetN8

NuggetN8

Mar 13, 2012
Northern California
Detector(s) used
SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Another video on the way.. Uploading to YouTube right now. I'll post it when it's done. Got some good videos of some larger predators... At my mining spot... =\

OP
OP
NuggetN8

NuggetN8

Mar 13, 2012
Northern California
Detector(s) used
SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ok here's the newest video. Caught a bunch of bears and a lion this time. I'll post more vids as I check the camera every 2-3 days.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I hope you are packing more than your' prospecting equipment! The Bears with cubs can be a problem but Mountain Lions are just down and out dangerous anytime. Thanks for sharing!

Frank

OP
OP
NuggetN8

NuggetN8

Mar 13, 2012
Northern California
Detector(s) used
SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I hope you are packing more than your' prospecting equipment! The Bears with cubs can be a problem but Mountain Lions are just down and out dangerous anytime. Thanks for sharing!

Frank

Nope only packing equipment. That's why I'm putting the camera out to see what's out at what time of the day.. Not that it matters.. I know that lions and bears can be out at any time but I've only seen the bears between 9pm-4am. The mtn lion was there at 10pm. I think if a lion really wanted to kill me I wouldn't get a chance to shoot. I hear that lions rarely attack people but I'm sure if one did somebody who's kneeling down panning for gold would be an easy target..

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'd be real careful around that sow, she's too skinny and also looks like she has a broken front left paw. Maybe an altercation with the kitty wanting her cubby? Boy you could tell they were either smelling your scent or each other's the bear and the cat sniffed the same branch. Very cool vids.

Gravelwasher

Jan 3, 2011
El Dorado County
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Nice video of the wildlife!! I knew the bears were visiting but way cool on the mountain lion!! Hope the bear pulls through looks like its not doing well at all. Keep those eyes peeled and be aware of your surroundings, dont want to wind up on the down side of the food chain..lol I think you are right on the lion, it wants nothing to do with us humans and if it did you would not see or hear it coming. Lion encounters are more rare than lightning strikes basically. Always something gaurding the gold..lol

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd be real careful around that sow, she's too skinny and also looks like she has a broken front left paw. Maybe an altercation with the kitty wanting her cubby? Boy you could tell they were either smelling your scent or each other's the bear and the cat sniffed the same branch. Very cool vids.
I noticed that wounded paw too. Nice cam captures. This was the only thing watching me last week, lol-

DSC04821_00.jpg

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hear that lions rarely attack people but I'm sure if one did somebody who's kneeling down panning for gold would be an easy target..
My cat's favorite "trick" on the neighbor, would be to attack him, while he was bent down tending his garden. She would stalk him, break a run and sprawl his back, jump off and run away. LOL!
He told my dad during the summer, he was actually getting paranoid, about the cat attacks! LOL!
Great video, thanks for sharing! Be careful out there, pls!

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
The Sow Bear definitely has a big gash in her' left paw and it could be broke. She may have had to defend her' cub from the bigger male seen at the beginning of the video. The Sow is not doing well and without human intervention, she will probably not make it through the Winter, her' cub will be orphaned and become likely prey for the Mountain Lion or male Bear.

I have had several encounters with Sow Black Bears with cubs, one of them on the 28th of September and I have been charged twice by Sows. While I really don't care to ever see a Black Bear again if possible, I don't want to see one suffer and die and leave her' cub to fend for itself. You might want to contact the U.S. Fish & Wildlife or local Game Warden to see if they can intervene and save both the Sow and her' cub.

Frank

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Trail cams are great. You never know what you will see. I run a couple of them. Please keep sharing.

OP
OP
NuggetN8

NuggetN8

Mar 13, 2012
Northern California
Detector(s) used
SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Trail cams are great. You never know what you will see. I run a couple of them. Please keep sharing.

Will do! Checked it today and it didn't catch anything. I'll check in again on Thursday. I moved the camera closer to the creek so I'm not sure if it's a good spot for it yet. If it doesn't catch anything in the new spot I'll move it back onto that animal trail.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Sow Bear definitely has a big gash in her' left paw and it could be broke. She may have had to defend her' cub from the bigger male seen at the beginning of the video. The Sow is not doing well and without human intervention, she will probably not make it through the Winter, her' cub will be orphaned and become likely prey for the Mountain Lion or male Bear.

I have had several encounters with Sow Black Bears with cubs, one of them on the 28th of September and I have been charged twice by Sows. While I really don't care to ever see a Black Bear again if possible, I don't want to see one suffer and die and leave her' cub to fend for itself. You might want to contact the U.S. Fish & Wildlife or local Game Warden to see if they can intervene and save both the Sow and her' cub.

Frank
Good thoughts. :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread