Upvote 0

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Re: What's wrong with my V-nickel

Just the patia, alot i see at coin stores look the same. I wouldnt clean it, but if you must i would use nic-a-lene oor soemthing like that...

Z

ZumbroKid

Do not even use nicadate! Leave this coin as is, just wash off with water. The value of this coin is the highest it is going to get. You say it is an 1886 that is a semi-key year and a rare find in my book. To touch this coin by cleaning would probably be something you will regret later on. Congrats on the very nice find!

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.

I once bought from a dealer a cleaned 1885 v nickel for 25 cents. He cleaned it and he ruined it. It had value as a VF dirty and he couldn't sell it for any amount for five years then offered it to me for a quarter. It's only a hole filler now and I wish it was still dirty. So does he. Whenever anyone gets the urge to clean coins they should start with coins that have NO PREMIUM VALUE. exanimo, ss

R

rvbvetter

Very nice find!! I have yet to find a V nickle that wasn't red when i dug it. HH

Gigisdiamonds

Mar 18, 2005
Kansas

Would someone, please tell me why there is a value to a coin that is dirty looking and not to one that has been cleaned? I mean why the same coin dirty , would not have the same value if you clean it ? ??? Thanks! ;D (My first thing as I guess a woman, would be to clean it up lol) I love to find old jewelry and clean it up, its one of the things I love about finding stuff! (I know very blondle lol) ::) :D :D

HH
Gigi

DugHoles

Bronze Member
May 23, 2005
Hudson Falls, NY
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT---Tinytec Ultraluxe probe

My tendency would be to clean it too. See, a wealth of knowledge to be had on this site. Thanks a lot.

GL & HH,

DugHoles

PRAIRIEWOLF

Jun 26, 2005
MINNESOTA

This is what makes the world go around . The very act of cleaning reduces the number of pristine original coins and ratchets up their price every time someone gives in to the urge to clean . Clean freaks are thus , good for the economy .

Z

ZumbroKid

The coloration of this coin is normal for a dug nickle. Nickle turns dark when it is in the ground. I believe since the invention of detectors there has not been found a non-harmful way to restore the original color back to the coin. I also believe the color of the coin says one thing others do not mention often, that is the coin is real.

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800

Nothing that is actually nice compared to the one's I find. I'd leave that one alone. I have the rarest 1885 and I didn't do anything to it but rince it and seal it in a plastic coin holder to keep air and skin oils off of it.

I try not to clean any coins worth more than 100.00. Unless they are so bad they can't be seen. It is tough to make that decision but it's probably the best one. Me I could polish that coin up nice but then they say it's value less and I don't get it. I'd rather have a clean dug coin than a crusty dug coin.

Nice coin

HH Jer

OP
OP
RKinOI

RKinOI

Nov 18, 2004

Thanks Y'all, Ok I'll leave it like it is.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread