Orbs? They appear quite often.
Newt

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx
Re: what's wrong with these pics?

Film or digital? My first thoughts are that bought are lens flare.

OP
OP
S

searching

Jun 19, 2009
Detector(s) used
tm808, gemini 3, gold bug

digital...the 1st pic was taken with canon power shot while the other was with hp digital camera...

btw, what exactly is orbs?

thanks

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

the First one is a Flair from the Sun

the Second a Orb caused by the sun or flash from
the camera
on a Bug. Probably a Moth.

Orbs are Specs of Dust, Rain, Snow or Bugs
that when Directly hit with
a Flash of Light
or sun, show up
on Film as Round Balls.

Commonly Called Ghosts By those
who Want them to be Ghosts.
and Balls of Energy By Ghost Hunters
who Want to look
like they Know What they
are talking abut :tongue3:

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

jeff of pa said:
the First one is a Flair from the Sun

the Second a Orb caused by the sun or flash from
the camera
on a Bug. Probably a Moth.

Agreed :icon_thumleft:

pjroo33

Oct 28, 2007
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, XP Deus, Minelab Explorer II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

pic 1 = glare

pic 2 = dust orb

lamar

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2004

Dear searching;
I've already explained what the phenomeon in the first photo was in a previous thread, however the spherical aberration in the second photo is not a dust mote, and I will be happy to explain why it isn't.

FIrst, in contradiction to film, dust motes on digital sensors always manifest themselves in photos are slightly darker circular blotches, as they do not reflect light, rather they absorb it. In the old film days, first a negative was made and the negative made all dark objects light and vice-versa, however the silver halide crystals used in most film stock were rather large and not capable of re-transferring the darkness to the dust motes, hence the light colored dust motes.

Also, dust motes are most generally unoticeable in multi-colored backgrounds and they tend to only manifest themselves in areas of homogenous colors, like a blue sky or a red wall, etc

Next, dust motes are almost unheard of in digital point & shoot style cameras as the camera's sensor is completely sealed off because there is no way to change the lens, therefore the camera manufacturer can completely and permanently seal the sensor area, thus reducing or totally eliminating dust particles.

With digital SLR cameras, dust is always a major hassle and there are numerous articles written on how to check your camera's sensor for dust motes, however I've discovered that the easiest way to check is take a shot of a completely blue sky then desaturate the photo of all color until the photo of the sky is a uniorm gray color. it's then a simple matter of easily detecting all darker colored circular aberrations in the photo. These are the dust motes and they are usually easily removed with a hand type squeeze bulb that is used to blow air onto the sensor.

The aberration is the second photo is nothing more mysterious than a spherical reflection, my friend. This are quite common with point & shoot cameras and I would also have many photos with the same aberrations as you, especially in areas with large expanses of open shade.
Your friend;
LAMAR

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

jeff of pa said:
Commonly Called Ghosts By those
who Want them to be Ghosts.
and Balls of Energy By Ghost Hunters
who Want to look
like they Know What they
are talking abut :tongue3:

I have pictures of my daughter taken from XLR's and digital cameras. At about the time her meemaw died, orbs and ecto began showing up on her pictures. I am not a freak nor do I usually believe in such things but I will start a thread this weekend to show the pics. I think many of you will agree once you see them that there may in fact be something to what we call orbs.
I agree that 99% of these orbs are caused by water vapor, dust, camera straps, etc.

But not all.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread