digger460

Silver Member
Sep 19, 2015
Southeast Grundy, Illinois
Detector(s) used
EQ600, EQ800 and a Carrot
Primary Interest:
Other
Just love the find. What other hobby can you spend four hours finding bottle caps, tin foil, and nails, and still when you pull that 1 relic or coin, you forget about the trash, and your fully pumped up again. I also like doing the research, looking at old maps, and aerial shots to plan my next dig. Just flat out addicting.:metaldetector:

nh.nugget

Sep 3, 2013
e.rochester nh.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
whites, KEENE A52 sluice, 3" dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For me it's sittin' at a river listening to the sounds of my sluice going ca-ching as the gold drops in to say hi! Seriously being out in nature meeting other people listening to the water going by enjoying life. Gold is just a bonus.

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Anfibio Multi - T2 Classic - F75+ - G2+....and MANY more tested and reviewed.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My favorite part about detecting is the technology of it. Not building my own coils or anything...but the differences in each brand. X machine has X amount of depth. X machine has X amount of separation...recovery speed....disc...notch...etc etc. One has VDI...one uses 80 tones and no VDI...one has manual GB one has auto GB.

There are so many types and varieties I just like to read up on them and see what they are all about. I have just as much fun reading about a detector as I do using one. Pointers...diggers...$50 gloves...it never ends.

It just amazes me how a $60 detector can do something better than a $1200 one in a certain category....and then how in other categories the $1200 machine blows it out of the water. Turns me on and makes me feel all beep beep on the inside.

As far as getting out and "doing it".....my favorite part is thinking about the "who/what/when/where" behind each find. Even if I find 5-6 bottle caps of the same flavor all in one place I sit and think somebody sure likes this brand of beer/soda/alcohol etc etc. I play a scenario in my head...even paint faces to imaginary people drinking away at the park. Then I call them jerks under my breath for littering and onto the next hole where I rinse and repeat.

Rustic

Jul 10, 2015
western MA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I find metal detecting very relaxing as it takes my mind off of the cares of the day. And I love finding old relics from my ancestral neighbors. But mostly, I believe I am quite literally addicted to it, lol. Thank goodness it is a harmless addiction....

myfantasia1

Oct 3, 2008
Colorado, Denver
Detector(s) used
Ace 350, and now AP Pro. and AP Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I like finding any kind of coins. I have opened 5 savings accounts for my grandkids and great grandkids.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The thrill of the hunt, and finding "something" after all the digging!

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
I think it's 3 fold for me:

1. As stated by Loco
The next plug may be "THE PLUG" that holds an old coin, a piece of jewelry, or a cool relic. That is what drives me.
It's that almost a gambling type feeling, but better because you never know what it will be.

2. I'm a coin collector and finding the coins myself is so much more satisfying that buying them. They come with a story of how and where I found them!

3. When I find something, wondering how it got there. I come up with all kinds of scenarios. My aunt-in-law loves to play this game with me. So, MDing brings me pleasure even when I'm not out swinging!

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shhhhhh! If the world finds out we're having this much fun detecting...:eek: well you know what happens, :(

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's that almost a gambling type feeling, but better because you never know what it will be

That's how I explain it to my friends and relatives. It's the same rush as gambling, but your money is never at risk. To me, the only bigger rush than winning money is finding money!

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Deteknix X-Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Where I live, I mostly hit parks. It is relaxing for me. But my favorite is jewelry as there are not many old coins around here. I was able to find a 1934 silver quarter this year. It was a nice surprise.

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It used to be about history and the past until I started hunting beaches. Now it's about gold, only gold. I've grown to love foil and pull tabs.

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It's about clearing my mind and getting outside for a couple of hours.Even if I don't come home with much it's still the experience of sharing time out with my husband. I also like finding little oddball finds and doing the research on them.

Last edited:
OP
OP
relic nut

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's about clearing my mind and getting outside for a couple of hours.Even if I don't come home with much it's still the experience of sharing tim out with my husband. I also like finding little oddball finds and doing the research on them.

I hear you. The therapeutic side of this hobby makes us all better people.

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's about clearing my mind and getting outside for a couple of hours.Even if I don't come home with much it's still the experience of sharing tim out with my husband. I also like finding little oddball finds and doing the research on them.

Hey lady.... You and the Mister are right around the corner from me. If you two would ever like to old "road hunt" let's have some fun! Maybe Frank (Huntsman53) can be here and the 4 of us can dig between 30-50 horseshoes within a couple of hours!!!!!! :laughing7:

Gaspipe

Bronze Member
Sep 6, 2013
New England
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro; F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Relic Nut see my post in the General Discussion under the thread on "Rubbing Coins"and you'll see you and me are on the same page.

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It used to be about history and the past until I started hunting beaches. Now it's about gold, only gold. I've grown to love foil and pull tabs.
If that is the case, I am willing to trade all my foil and pull tabs for all your gold.

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If that is the case, I am willing to trade all my foil and pull tabs for all your gold.
First you need to get the machine I use. You see my machine lies! It tells me foil and pull tabs and instead I dig gold rings and chains. Maybe my machine is busted:tongue3:

OP
OP
relic nut

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First you need to get the machine I use. You see my machine lies! It tells me foil and pull tabs and instead I dig gold rings and chains. Maybe my machine is busted:tongue3:

Sounds like mine, it lies to. Some of my best finds have been when I said, dig it anyway.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread