Wheat contest with granddaughter

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Spent Easter weekend with some of the out of state grandkids. Brought up two dime boxes - skunked, but also a box of cents. Challenged the 12-year old g.daughter to see who could find the oldest wheat cent. We were getting plenty of coppers, then a few wheats here & there, the 50's, 40's, then finding some 30's, getting down to the wire she finds a 25-s, next roll I find a 23-p. I thought then that I was the winner. Started wrapping up the count, and all of a sudden in her wheat pile I see a very old & worn 1909-P. Looked soooo hard on it to see an S, or VDB, but not this time. I asked her why didn't you tell me you found this old dog? Her reply, grampa, you said we were looking for old wheat cents, NOT ANCIENT ONES. I told her YOU WIN HANDS DOWN, you got the oldest wheatie made. With that she immediately put it in her Vol.#1 cent folder that I gave to all 12-grandkids two years ago. We had FUN TOGETHER SEARCHING. Hope you all share the same experience with your own kids & grandkids. HH, DozerD

Upvote 0

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I still love searchingly cents - even tho it's not usually as lucrative as halves.
I did a "Wheat War"[emoji768] last night with my boys. We each did a whole box. Not too many keepers, but my son found a '17d and a 1893 Indian! It was a lot of fun.

OP
OP
Dozer D

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
B.buff: it is a lot of fun any way you look at it, with the kids involved. I just wish that I did this coin hunting with my 5-kids when they were young, (my youngest is now 33). That why I'm trying to get a few of the 12-grandkids interested in coins.
My kids never knew that I had a sizable coin collection until just a few years ago. My loss I guess, keep your boys involved. HH, DozerD

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread