Wheat to silver coin ratio?

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
I was just wondering how many wheats you find per silver coin find. In 2008 my brother and I found 37 wheats and 11 silver coins, or 3.36 wheats per silver. Last year we found 93 wheats and 15 silver coins, or 6.2 wheats per silver. And this year we've found 20 wheats and 0 silver coins lol. Anyways just wanted to see what your guys' ratios are like.

Upvote 0

PJ in WI

Mar 17, 2007
Detector(s) used
EXPLORER SE and an ACE 250
Last year my average was under 6 to 1. That was helped out by 3 very productive silver sites and learning what my detector was telling me.

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
Here in S. Cal, it's a fairly consistent average of around 4-6 wheats per silver in the past few years. I hunt with about 8 different buddies here, and we're all in the 4-6:1 ratio. Sure, there's days when I can find 20 wheats, and only 1 or 2 silver, but at the end of the year, when we tally up our totals, this 4-6:1 ratio has been consistent for the past 3 years. There's plenty of old parks in the Los Angeles area to find old coins, and we have pounded them in the past few years. Our individual silver counts are usually measured in the hundreds each year. I've had a very productive period between Jan '07-May '09, before I became ill again. It was a lot of digging, and very memorable times spent hunting with my buddies. A lot of the parks we hunted have thinned out greatly now, so it's more challenging to find the oldies next to piles of trash targets.

Each area in the country is going to be different. I am lucky to be in such a highly productive area for early to mid 20th century coins.

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

tmanfromtexas

Mar 12, 2006
Deep East Texas near Toledo Bend
Detector(s) used
ETRAC BABY
In 2008 I bought an etrac in September. Before the etrac my ratio was 9/1 and then as i learned the detector i went to 7/1 for the balance of the year. Last year my ratio was 5/1. I did get lucky and hit some spots that hadnt been hunted very hard but I also hunted some parks in Chicago that had been hunted for the last 40 years and pulled alot of both coins from there. I expect my ratio to be about the same this year as last. SMAN...

S

stefen

My issue is the ratio of reales to coppers...the beach is not giving up any coppers :read2:

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
this year I was at 4.8 wheats to 1 silver
535 wheats.........110 silver

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never had a great deal of success finding silver where I find wheats for some reason. I have a large coffee can full of wheats and a couple of small vials with silvers! Don't make sense to me but I guess folks were too poor around here to have much silver. Monty

OP
OP
washingtonian

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
Thanks for all the replies! My bro and I are currently at 41 wheats and no silver coins, going for the T-net record of most wheats without silver in a row! lol

keverett

Feb 9, 2009
The NO town, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac w/ Sunray X-1 Pro Coil and 10x12 SEF, Tesoro LST
7 Wheat Pennies, 1 buffalo nickel, 1 gold ring, 0 silver.....I think those guys with the E-trac's cherry picked most of the easy silver.....

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
2008: 84 wheats - 29 silvers = 2.89 W/S

2009: 124 wheats - 48 silvers = 2.58 W/S

2010: 72 wheats - 19 silvers = 3.78 W/S

lordmarcovan

Jan 3, 2006
Golden Isles Of Georgia
Detector(s) used
Many models over the years, mostly Garretts
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It used to be around 10-12 to 1 for me.

Depends on the site, of course.

I remember one old place where we found an 1891 Indian cent, dozens upon dozens of Wheaties from the full span of dates, and not one single silver coin.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread