Wheaties........ to clean or not to clean

XT18000

May 26, 2008
I have 17 wheaties from the 40s and 12 from the 50s and wondering if I should clean them any.
Most of them are in good to vg condition; only a few have ding's on them. They all have a brown
patina as normal for coins that have been in circulation. Some have S mint mark some D and some
have none. Some with same date's have a mix of all three mints. What to do;how to clean? Thanks All

Upvote 0

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
if you can read them and they're not corroded, I wouldn't clean them at all. they're worth more in a "natural" state

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why not clean them? They are common dates from the 1940s and 1950s. Cleaned or uncleaned they are still only going to be worth a penny unless you have an error.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I am so disgusted with the value-less-ness of the '40s/50s wheaties (1.5 cents each at best?) that I don't even save them. I just throw them in with my clad. In fact, I just throw ALL my wheaties in with my clad, unless they are key date. Reason? One time I had a fellow buy a bucket of several hundred wheaties from me, at something like .03c each. By the time I was done counting them, and by the time I was done hearing him gripe about how there was nothing worth a durn in there (I'd cherry picked the good dates out already), it just wasn't worth my time. So now, I just scan the wheats for the obvious 7 or 8 keeper dates, and the rest ........ just goes into my clad bucket :)

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
Yup.

Sometimes things become a matter of diminishing returns.

That doesn't take away the fun parts, though! ;D

Best

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why not clean them? They are common dates from the 1940s and 1950s. Cleaned or uncleaned they are still only going to be worth a penny unless you have an error.

It depends on what we want from the hobby. Our time is definitely worth more than the coins, but what are ya going to do with your time, cut the grass?????????

I check the dates and save them all so I can look back on the buckets and think how much fun I had collecting them all by saving me from doing work around the house which will still be here when I am gone.

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandman said:

It depends on what we want from the hobby. Our time is definitely worth more than the coins, but what are ya going to do with your time, cut the grass?????????

I check the dates and save them all so I can look back on the buckets and think how much fun I had collecting them all by saving me from doing work around the house which will still be here when I am gone.

I just throw the wheats into a tumbler with crushed walnuts. They come out pretty decent. Then they just get tossed into a big jar full of wheats.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
All the 40s and 50s are only worth 15 to 20 cents apiece unless you have one with a double strike mint mark (Yeoman Red Book). So it's really your choice. I clean mine. TTC

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TerryC said:
All the 40s and 50s are only worth 15 to 20 cents apiece unless you have one with a double strike mint mark (Yeoman Red Book). So it's really your choice. I clean mine. TTC

Do you know of any buyers that will pay this price? Even at coin shops I see those dates at a nickel a piece or so. Even common date teens and 20s I see for less than 20 cents at coin shops.

Rifleman

Oct 1, 2007
Why not just keep them all and pass them on to your kids or grandkids when you pass. Who knows, 100 years from now they may be worth a bundle. Rolling them and passing them off they are only worth 50 cents, years from now, who knows? Remember how common silver coins were not too many years ago? Sure, they are only copper, but who knows what the future holds.

John K

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread