hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
It's called market hype. It has nothing to do with rarity but people want to collect something and usually something that ez to find. So some pick Barbie dolls and some pick wheaties. Collecting something that's rare and expensive takes time and bucks. Just sayin...

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
Whenever the cent is discontinued and melting of the copper cent occurs, wheat cents, will be destroyed from people melting them down. Also ....its alot more than "market hype", some wheats are worth alot of money (1909s,1914D, 1923-1924(s), are pretty rare). Wheat cents are only going to go up in value, what are you going to loose by "holding a cent"

OP
OP
ironman

ironman

Aug 16, 2012
The Woodlands,Texas
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whenever the cent is discontinued and melting of the copper cent occurs, wheat cents, will be destroyed from people melting them down. Also ....its alot more than "market hype", some wheats are worth alot of money (1909s,1914D, 1923-1924(s), are pretty rare). Wheat cents are only going to go up in value, what are you going to loose by "holding a cent"

Guess I better go through my stash and take a second look

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Please not really understanding but what makes them so collectable.

They are not minting any more of them. That ALWAYS adds to collectability.

Also, the folks with discretionary cash remember them from their childhood. That also makes them at a premium.

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like finding wheatys as they are still old coins that haven't been minted since 1959. I have a 1920 that is my oldest coin so far. It also gives me hope that I may find some silver coins at a site if I keep at it. Finding a 1942 merc dime is really cool, but I still think it's awesome to find an old wheat, especially from the 1920's or earlier. I even have a blast finding brass button from the late 19th-early 20th century. When I hold that old wheat or relic in my hand I think of the history behind it and if this coin could only talk!

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
It's just what you chose to devote time and energy to. In my short time in the antique business I knew a guy that collected tie clasps. Not valuable jewelry, ordinary tie clasps. Maybe they'll be back in style some day. He devoted time and energy to his collection.
I wouldn't throw away an old Wheatie (though I probably have) but they wouldn't be something that would capture my attention. I doubt I have enough time to wait for them to be worthwhile. Especially on the rare chance of finding a valuable one. I guess I'll keep looking for that very large nugget.
Whatever floats your boat.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lots of mint errors in wheaties in the 50's before they were discontinued. You can find BIE's which might be worth 5 or 6 dollars, but a 55 double die would probably start at about $400-$500 and go up depending on condition. And of course that 43 copper Lincoln that I have is worth...25 cents maybe. Well if they did a better job of plating it, we would be in the 50 cent range.

RotZorn

Feb 12, 2013
Munford, TN
Detector(s) used
F5,F2,MPX,1T-Pilot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When I was a kid they were everywhere it seemed, I don't collect them really, but I did find one not long after I got my detector back in March. It was the first time I had seen one in a long time. I found it right out in the yard by the fence, about 4 inches down. It's a 1928 and was in really good shape so I doubt it was in the ground for that long and cleaned up pretty good.

IDK- its my oldest coin that I have found being new to the hobby, so I'm proud to have dug it. Even if it's not particularly valuable! :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread