Wheats & silver today...

litefire56

Bronze Member
May 14, 2008
Illinois
Detector(s) used
DFX -10x12 SEF, 300mm, 10"DD, 6x10DD, Sunray DX-1
Wheats & silver today...

After having to work yesterday, I just had to get out for a bit today. Found an old home site with nothing left but a couple very large trees. This site wasn't posted, fenced etc. so I gave it a quick
scan. I started at the largest tree and got all four coins within 15 minutes, and no deeper than 3". Called Brett to let him know what a great site this is going to be and no sooner do I get done
leaving a message, when a pick-up truck pulls up behind my van. Turns out to be the property owner and though he wasn't too upset, he wouldn't allow me to continue there. He said I wouldn't find anything anyways. :icon_pirat: I asked him how old the site was, and he said he was born there and so was his Dad. He was about 80yo...
I offered to mow the place, split any possible finds or try to locate any lost jewelry that family or friends
may have lost at other locations, but he wasn't giving in. :(
As we shook hands goodbye, I thanked him for not having me arrested. ;D

Attachments

• johnsnew 862.jpg
    johnsnew 862.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 194
  • johnsnew 867.jpg
    johnsnew 867.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 146

JAN2011

Apr 21, 2009
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Detector(s) used
White's DFX - MXT - Excalibur II
Re: Wheats & silver today...

Is that why Orchard Road was closed a few minutes ago - cause the police were looking for you?????

Brett

Bronze Member
May 8, 2008
Montgomery, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC w/Sunray X-1

That's the way to do it... swoop in, and skate out! Great finds! Congrats on taking the lead... but you owe me a LG Hot Chocolate now :)

OP
OP
litefire56

litefire56

Bronze Member
May 14, 2008
Illinois
Detector(s) used

JAN2011 said:
Is that why Orchard Road was closed a few minutes ago - cause the police were looking for you?????

Heh heh... that's funny now Steve, but a week ago it wasn't.
I got a call from a local town PD detective. I won't mention where, but he wanted me to
meet with him there regarding something, but wouldn't say what. Gulp! :help:
I agreed to go but pressed him a little more about the context of the meeting so that I could come prepared to assist him as much as possible.
As it turns out, a farm site that we had permission to hunt was robbed of some items in an outer storage building. The property owner that gave me permission, who also had my business card and MDing card, apparently turned me in as a possible suspect! :o
I had to assure this detective that the meeting wasn't necessary due to the fact that as a father of 5,
grandfather of 2, business owner and person that spends thousands on the pleasure of digging up dirty pennies, I surely wouldn't throw that all away for some junk. :laughing7:
I gave him my DOB and middle name so he could check out my squeaky clean record and never heard back.
So as it's always best to get permission, it doesn't guarantee against any future hassles.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023

Ah yes, it's time we post mug shots for avatars John. Somehow I will avoid calling you a "looter" in the future.

JAN2011

Apr 21, 2009
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Detector(s) used
White's DFX - MXT - Excalibur II

Glad to hear nothing came of it John but I'm sure is was concerning to get the call out of the blue. Always did like your business card - comes across as very professional.

outlaw007

Bronze Member
May 6, 2009
ILLINIOS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
TESORO LOBO SUPERTRAQ , TESORO GOLDEN UMAX AND MINELAB EXCALIBUR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

NICE LOOTED MERC THERE JOHN !

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Moronica, northwest of Chicago.
Detector(s) used
E-trac & Bounty Hunter Land Star

Good story! Great finds!!!

Is that a hinged ring? I've never seen one before...

At least you didn't pull a seated or LC out of there before you got booted!! ;D

OP
OP
litefire56

litefire56

Bronze Member
May 14, 2008
Illinois
Detector(s) used

Kimsdad said:
Is that a hinged ring? I've never seen one before...

Neil, I don't know what it is, but I thought is was a mower chopped ring when I dug the first half.
About 10 minutes later I went back to the spot and heard the same iffy signal 2' away. I just knew it
was going to be the other half, but this one had a little hinge ring where I thought it was cut. When the 2 halves are together there are two hearts on top. Then I thought it was an earring, but it didn't make sense that the hinged part would be hanging down for all to see and the one heart would be out of sight behind the lobe. Never knew there was such a thing as a hinged ring before, but found some..

http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&um=1&sa=1&q=hinged+ring&aq=f&oq=&aqi=&start=0

Thanks for the clue! :thumbsup: If it's a ring, it's # 34

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

What a great 15-minutes :icon_sunny:

(would of been nice to have a couple of hours there :'()

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6 w/ Sun-Ray DX-1, 950 coil and 6x10 DD, Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett Ace 250, Garmin Etrex GPS

Nice finds and sharp merc!

I'm thinking that at the end of the year, we should all submit our best TH'ing stories to kind of cap off 2009. Good ones and bad ones. I enjoyed reading your stories on this thread, I think it would be kinda cool to have whoever wanted to, to tell some funny/embarrassing/shameful/sad/happy stories! lol.

Joe

AmericanCoinHunting

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2005
CHICAGO
Detector(s) used
E-Trac w/Pro Coil,and 6x8" S.E.F,The Relic & Gold hunters DREAM...a Troy X-3 w/3 coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

A great short hunt......Too bad he wouldn't give in and let you come back.Sorry bout that

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions