When buying a used Excal...

Heavy32

Aug 10, 2010
SETX
Detector(s) used
excalibur II, x-terra 30
Been looking into buy a second hand Excal 1000. I know there is always a certain amount of risk that goes along with buying used. Just wanted to see if there were any specific questions I should ask or any tell-tell signs I should be looking for. Looking at this one on CL that was bought in 98 and is going for $650.00... does that sound about right? Also where is a good place to pickup a straight shaft? Thanks, Heavy

Attachments

• Excal.jpg
    Excal.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 94
  • Excal 1.jpg
    Excal 1.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 120
Upvote 0

wrecker

Mar 5, 2008
Germany
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Minelab Excalibur 1000
650,- for a 14 year old Excal seems too much. It's one of the old models with the sword decal on the side. I think they originally had a coil the shape of a horseshoe. And with the grey cables it looks like the original coil and cables have been replaced by someone. I read somewhere Minelab wouldn't fix this model anymore if you needed repairs. There probably are people who still can repair this machine but I wouldn't buy it. For 650,- you'll find a more modern one. This one I would pay 200,- for maybe. But that's just my opinion and I'm no expert at all.
Others here will help with their advice I'm sure.
You can easily make a straight shaft yourself, browse through older posts here on T-Net. Good luck!

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
650,- for a 14 year old Excal seems too much. It's one of the old models with the sword decal on the side. I think they originally had a coil the shape of a horseshoe. And with the grey cables it looks like the original coil and cables have been replaced by someone. I read somewhere Minelab wouldn't fix this model anymore if you needed repairs. There probably are people who still can repair this machine but I wouldn't buy it. For 650,- you'll find a more modern one. This one I would pay 200,- for maybe. But that's just my opinion and I'm no expert at all.
Others here will help with their advice I'm sure.
You can easily make a straight shaft yourself, browse through older posts here on T-Net. Good luck!

This is too much to take a gamble on.

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The excalibur is not dead but the first problem is sealing (waterproofing)

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Too much money for one that old, although the sword was a very good model, judging from the pictures unless you know the seller real good I would not pay that much for it. I wouldn't pay more than $400 for it as you will need to spend money on it to get all seals replaced.

ML will work on it as long as they have the parts, if ML want, there are several members here who do work on them.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way too much $$$ for a model that old.

Age aside, the warning signs I would look for would be:
1 - non-factory coil
2 - non-factory headphones
3 - non-factory batteries.

I know a lot of people "upgrade" thier machines, but this is a water detector. If they botched the job, you can have a 100% dead detector the first time you wade into the water.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way too much $$$ for a model that old.

Age aside, the warning signs I would look for would be:
1 - non-factory coil
2 - non-factory headphones
3 - non-factory batteries.

I know a lot of people "upgrade" thier machines, but this is a water detector. If they botched the job, you can have a 100% dead detector the first time you wade into the water.

Correct, with the mods done on it you want to know who your buying it from so you know it was done correctly, or know someone who can check it out ahead of time.

OP
OP
Heavy32

Heavy32

Aug 10, 2010
SETX
Detector(s) used
excalibur II, x-terra 30
Thanks for all the info. Glad I didnt jump the gun on this one. While I'm here, what is the difference between the Excal 1000 and the Excal II? Does the II give you anything the 1000 doesnt?

Buried Crap NJ

Dec 5, 2009
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Minelab Excalibur II, Minelab GT,Compass XP-Pro,Fischer 1210X
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Depends on the age and condition of the unit. Remembering that some are NOT able to be repaired By Minelab due to parts availbilty. You may be able to find someone to fix an older unit. But rememberiung again some parts are proprietary and can't be had! The best advice is only buy it if you can hold and see it. You have no clue how it was cared for in a photo. Not washing off each use with soap and water will lead to problems. IMHO

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the info. Glad I didnt jump the gun on this one. While I'm here, what is the difference between the Excal 1000 and the Excal II? Does the II give you anything the 1000 doesnt?

To clarify terms for you, there are two "sizes" of excal, since the coils are hardwired. There is the 1000, a ten inch coil and the 800 with an 8 inch coil. The excal / excal II denotes a change in the base model. So there are excal 800 / 1000 AND excal II 800 / 1000.

What was changed? I don't know. I have heard from many long-time users that they are the same except for a decal. Some users prefer the older excal as the excal II seems to have (or had) some QC issues. I bought my excal 800 used, so I haven't compared it to a "II" model.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread