chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WHO is it that REMOVES the pulltab from the can? I get the beaver tale, thats how they were made. In 30 something years of consuming canned beverages I dont ever recall rocking the pulltab back and forth to break it off then throw it on the ground?( for some poor fool like me to dig up 20 years in the future)

I remove said can from cool box.

I then move tab fwd and down to open beverage

I move pulltab back into the original position

I then consume beverage

I then dispose of can responsibly

I dont really get the whole remove the tab thing. In my experience it leaves a sharp edge to cut your llips.

Is it....

OCD?

Drinking games

Evil pulltab gremlin

Metal detecting widow

other?

Chub

mextallion

Jan 13, 2014
porterville calif
Detector(s) used
Spectrum xlt x-terra master huntercx gemini3 sierra madre, v3i, tdi, gti2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My family and I keep all our aluminum cans and at year-end we sell them. In over 20 years i have seen only one pull tab removed. So, who is doing this evil deed?? Just, maybe some people hate metal detectorists.

b3y0nd3r

Aug 27, 2011
Detector(s) used
ctx 3030 nokta impact Equinox 800
I know some put them back inside the can.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is a very good question ! I remember seeing this question raised here a while back ( I may have raised it ) it actually takes some intention to work those off the can ...

Zincoln Miner

Nov 14, 2003
New York State
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 340, Tesoro Silver uMax, Compadre, and BH Tracker IV.

Ex: White's Spectrum XLT, Tesoro Cutlass II Umax, and that circa late 70's red handled junk from RadioShack that started it.

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No shortage of litterbugs anywhere! I remember way back when the beverage companies decided to come up with an alternative design to the ancient pulltab that had to be removed from the can. The best one I remember was on a Coor's beer can. You had two round buttons that you could only push into the can. The larger one was for drinking and the smaller one was the vent. It never caught on because people complained it was too hard to push the buttons in!

coors can.jpg

Haldean

Feb 11, 2019
Burlington NC
Detector(s) used
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It is a very good question ! I remember seeing this question raised here a while back ( I may have raised it ) it actually takes some intention to work those off the can ...

Actually I know people who do that. I asked them why and they told me That they didn't like that tab against their upper lip when they were drinking. It seems silly to me but I don't tear them off. The same people are usually picky eaters.

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Boredom. Sitting around BSing and figety, needing something to play with.

flinthunter

Jan 3, 2011
Illinois
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, V3i, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know several people who pull the tab off. They claim their mustache hairs get stuck in the tab and it hurts.

gilgar

Mar 18, 2009
A Little South of Heaven
Detector(s) used
Garrett Treasure Ace 300
Here's my theory. We used to be able to pull our tabs and toss them freely as we pleased. Then the hippies got the gubmint to ban them and require non-pull tabs. So all the freedom loving, anti gubmint types said, No dang gubmint gonna keep me from pulling my tabs if I want to and so the pulling continues. How dare they try to take away our freedoms ;)

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
I find it's young people that weren't around back when we had actual pull tabs. The only reason I can come up with as to why is that they want to litter as every one of them throws it on the ground after they pull it off the can. I tell them not to do it but I catch them doing it again later. I have even explained that they make a metal detectors life not as fun and they always laugh at me.

Grizz12 hit the nail on the head.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions