GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As I was out and about Xmas shopping I picked up a Feb 2009 copy of the "Coin Values" magazine.

My previous copy was Dec 2007.

As I was scanning through I noticed that the prices for silver halves jumped....

For example in 12/07, a common franklin half in VF-20 was listed as $7....in the new issue its $10
And common walkers in G-4 jumped from $7 to $11
common washington quarters in G-4 went from $3.5 to $5
common roosevelt and mercury dimes in VF-20 from $1.50 to $2.50

At first I thought maybe it was just the silver price, but war nickels stayed exactly the same price....no change.

Now are these prices just a holdover from having higher silver prices temporarily or fixed higher prices for the coins????

Upvote 0
It happened in the June issue which I received in April. At that point silver had been north of $16/oz. for most of the year, so my guess is it's at least partially bullion related.

GMan00001 said:
As I was out and about Xmas shopping I picked up a Feb 2009 copy of the "Coin Values" magazine.

My previous copy was Dec 2007.

As I was scanning through I noticed that the prices for silver halves jumped....

For example in 12/07, a common franklin half in VF-20 was listed as $7....in the new issue its $10
And common walkers in G-4 jumped from $7 to $11
common washington quarters in G-4 went from $3.5 to $5
common roosevelt and mercury dimes in VF-20 from $1.50 to $2.50

At first I thought maybe it was just the silver price, but war nickels stayed exactly the same price....no change.

Now are these prices just a holdover from having higher silver prices temporarily or fixed higher prices for the coins????

Those must be ebay prices. Because no way are you gonna get even 7 dollars on a common date Franklin half here. Even if it is AU. Maybe if you have a whole roll of them, but not just one. Those books that quote the prices are fine, but finding a buyer willing to pay is another story.

I bought an MS 64 Franklin 1963 for only 8.50 back when junk silver halves were going for 5.50 earlier this year. It was in the 50% off box at my local coin store. It is PCGS graded. Whatever fool sent if off for grading spent 30 bucks just to have it slabbed. I figure I got a deal, even if just for the silver content.

Jim

I feel "COIN VALUES" prices on most of there modern 1950 Up are way inflated.

for example a 1964 rosie dime in VF for $2.50, I can buy them all day long for $2.00 in MS condition. In VF I can get them for just cents over melt value. Again you have to remember these are just guides, sometimes bad ones at that.

Happy Holidays,
Jason

Shake-N-Bake said:
I feel "COIN VALUES" prices on most of there modern 1950 Up are way inflated.

for example a 1964 rosie dime in VF for $2.50, I can buy them all day long for $2.00 in MS condition. In VF I can get them for just cents over melt value. Again you have to remember these are just guides, sometimes bad ones at that.

Happy Holidays,
Jason

I wasn't necessarily looking at the exact prices, more the concept of them changing.....as both numbers were from the same magazine.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back