curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice picture RGINN....I don't usually look on this forum but saw your name & had to take a peek. So how was it living there then & like that? lol

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Conservative is putting it mildly! I lived there before " liquor by the drink" was finally passed by the Southern Baptists and Barry Switzer was still idolized, lol! I would love to detect the Turner Falls area. Boomer Sooners!

OP
OP
RGINN

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It wasn't all that bad, CK. You didn't go to bars, you weren't welcome in some businesses, and they would kick you out of church. Which was fine with me, cause that left more time for huntin, fishin, trappin, campin, and arrowhead huntin. That Marlin .22 rifle I'm holding, which I still have, was considered a 'weapon of mass destruction' by the squirrel nation. Most people used a shotgun for squirrels but I preferred the .22 as it didn't mess up the meat so bad.

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry the church folk didn't treat you nice...you'd think that "they" of all, should have know better. But sounds like you had/have your "nature" church and have made Lemonade out of lemons...so that's a very good thing RGINN :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
RGINN

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You mentioned Barry Switzer, Old Dude. That boy of mine was goin to OU in the 90's and had a little job at a convenience store there in Norman. One day he rang up this guy and said, '$2.57'. The guy said 'You know who I am?' Son said, 'Yeah, you're Barry Switzer. $2.57 please.' Barry paid and stomped out. I was very proud of that boy that day.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ha! There was a joke going around when Switzer was having his final days at OU. A citizen calls the Norman PD and says his home is being broken into. The chief of police says " We're very busy right now. Just write down his jersey number and we will arrest him later!".

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
now i understand where you come from. I like it cause i 2 come frum kinda the same heritage but passed down. I 2 is of Indian background by illegal injection in Iowa. long story.

OP
OP
RGINN

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
'...illegal injection in Iowa...'?! Thereby hangs a tale. I mainly come from the red dirt country of western Oklahoma, the first of my family to be born that far west. I am directly descended from the Cherokee Nation. One of my many times great grandpas was killed by US soldiers in 1792 in a place called Coyotee Village, presently east Tennessee. We are associated with the Choctaw Nation through inter-marriage. Family historians have determined, to their satisfaction anyway, that my great grandpa Ginn was 1/2 Seminole. Although I don't particular look Indian, I could get the documents and get a tribal card in somebody's tribe. I prefer not to be a ward of the government.

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
now i understand where you come from. I like it cause i 2 come frum kinda the same heritage but passed down. I 2 is of Indian background by illegal injection in Iowa. long story.
umm rape :censored:

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I prefer the 22 over a shotgun for squirrels as well. Thing is, when you shoot one, and it doesn't fall from the tree, a shotgun can come in handy. :)

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I prefer the 22 over a shotgun for squirrels as well. Thing is, when you shoot one, and it doesn't fall from the tree, a shotgun can come in handy. :)

PB, you just made me remember a hunt my brother in law took me on when I was pretty young. He used 5 or 6 shots from his shotgun to get this one really tricky squirrel. He got it and it lodged in a limb. He had to use his last shell to shoot the limb to get it to fall. When he went over to pick it up, it tried to bite him and he had to use the butt of his gun to bludgeon it, lol. His brother and I remind him on occasion about the squirrel that refused to die.

bungyboy

Aug 22, 2014
Southeast of Disorder
Detector(s) used
CZ-70
Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I poke squirrels out with a .22 as well. I was about 7yo and my dad and grandpa were blasting at a squirrel way up in a pine tree. They are tall here in East Texas. Just as he jumped I hit him and it was a long fall. I had a customized .22 winchester with a cut barrel and stock. I still hunt everything with a .22 and carry a .22 pistol for defense.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread