apush

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am a newby, but learning the ropes from so many nice folks--of which I am very greatful. Thank you for making me feel welcome and willing to post my thoughts, comments, and questions. Several of you have come to my defense, and well, that actually floors me because, well, I am use to taking care of this ol' gal myself. My many thanks (a low and proper curtsy is in order with hoop skirts--a Southern tradition.)

So, I pose the question: When is a newby not a newby?

I would surmise that one calender year would denote a promotion to at least a corporal. Your thoughts. LOL. :laughing9:

Life must be fun!

Apush :read2:

Upvote 0

endthefed13

Apr 9, 2010
Well Apush, I would say that a newbie becomes a non-newbie very quickly.
I think that once a person displays a genuine interest in the in knowing the correct
dates to look for and knows what they are looking for they are no longer a newbie.
Whether you get lots of boxes or just 1 or 2, as long as you know what you're looking
for and have an awareness of what to find and how to identify it, you are not a newbie.
I am 20 years old and go to college. I've been collecting silver (and other) coins for numismatic/bullion
purposes for quite a while because I have been fortunate enough to have been made aware of the whole CRH process since I was a child. I love coins for their historical significance as well as their value. Also silver represents an era that was more honest. You actually got in your hand something that was valuable. Something that would remain valuable. And of course i love them for the way they retain and incase in value. You and I are not newbies. I would say that anyone who displays a genuine interest in CRHing is not a newbie. Newbies are like people who don't know or care about the whole concept of silver and gold or CRHing. Newbies are like people who spend silver coins for face value. Ohhhhh but wait, we love those guys also right?!?! :laughing7:

OP
OP
apush

apush

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Endthefed13,
Honey, you stole my heart. Good luck in college and get that degree. I taught US History for years at Texas A & M University-Commerce so I understand fully the historical significance. I am a Great Depression/WWII (women's history) historian. Love you kid!

Coins are a new hobby for me. I love it! Glad you have been "doing it" for years. My past hobby was collecting anything to do with FDR and the Great Depression--especially photos from D. Lange and anything to do with Rosie! She is my icon--even named my Great Dane after her.

Keep your silver close! And, never let the government take your silver!!!
apush :read2:

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Apush , I would suggest that a "newbie" is defined less in terms of time in trade , and more
in terms of knowledge or awareness of a given field of interest or study. Clearly you are
soaking up knowledge very quickly, because you are so enthusiastic about coins and silver,
I must say it is refreshing to see your eagerness, and your gratitude ! Argentium.

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
I would say that one is no longer a newbie when they stop posting their finds, and become secretive about their CRH activities.
So I guess I'm still a newbie,and have been since 2008.
HH
Rich

maine_Jim

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
A good question. As far as this board goes I felt like I wasn't a newbie after I'd seen quite a few people come and go. I've been here for a couple years and have seen the same questions asked over and over. The same one's by the way that I started with so I don't mind answering them as others before answered them for me. Like most I started with cents and moved on to dimes then halves. In two year's I've searched a lot of boxes and found my share of silver. I even made the banner with a find. That sure raised a ruckus about keeping CRH on the QT. You seem to quickly be progressing past the newbie status and will soon be a veteran.

Maine_Jim

obediah

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2009
Clarksville TN.
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro
Rich Hartford said:
I would say that one is no longer a newbie when they stop posting their finds, and become secretive about their CRH activities.
So I guess I'm still a newbie,and have been since 2008.
HH
Rich
That Rich is the best descrip have heard yet. I got so many nasty grams last year from them old hands.

timbobwey

Bronze Member
Mar 16, 2009
MI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
we're all newbies in our own way. I don't think anyone on here has every bit of knowledge to the game. Some know more than others, but everyone has their own area in which they are better in, as far as searching different denominations.
I bet most people here have a coin book to help, I know I do. There is way too much to remember as far as knowing what coins are worth more, and what is really rare. It helps to find errors too, for all types of coins. I would suggest buying a book to anyone. If that means your a newbie if you use a book, then consider me one.

puckhead

Apr 28, 2007
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
Are you asking about the hobby itself or just this forum? Some of us have been opening rolls for longer than the internet has been around much less this forum. I know I am always learning new things about both so I am still a newbie, nub, n00b or however else you want to spell it and the day I stop learning about the hobby is the day I hang it up and start pushing up daisies. I think that everyone is entitled to their opinion at least as far as the forum guidelines allow them and some are more eager to post than others. Everyone has his or her reasons for how much or how little they contribute but it is all of those posts that make this site a great one to keep coming back to whether it is later tonight or a year from now. HH all.

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
Puckhead, I think hit the nail on the head. There are several levels to this. You could be 60 years old and been coin roll hunting since the 60's. You are not a newbie to the hobbie but a newbie to us on the forum. In this case I think the individual would no longer be a newbie once you have established a repor on the forum as someone who is a contributor. You take and give advice and post interesting topics and of course your finds. It is really not so much about the number of posts. I know some old hats here who have over 3,000 some posts but there are others that post once and a while that have 200 or so posts that still contribute and are known around this site and have been for some time. It just depends. In the past there have been a couple immature posters that would just post a thumbs up to every thread just to show they had more posts. This person is no longer here but probably would not have ever left newbie status. LOL. I personally felt like a newbie my first 6 months or so of posting at this hobbie after that people started to come and go and I hung around. So I am maybe not the oldest hat around but I think I graduated the newbie status a while ago.

Great Question :icon_thumright:

Golden Silver

Fredness

Jul 16, 2009
Puckhead and timbobwey - good points.
I've been a silver hound/coin collector all my 40+ years, but I'm new here.
I'll continue to consider myself a n00b (here) until I've "gotten a haircut" and joined the '70 club.
But, that's just me...

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hehe, I just have to say this.... when the newby learns how to spell newbie... :) Sorry no ill-will intended....

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AGCoinHunter said:
Hehe, I just have to say this.... when the newby learns how to spell newbie... :) Sorry no ill-will intended....

I thought the same thing when it was first posted.

My actual answer is:
It depends on whether you are referring to being a newbie to TNet, a newbie to coin collecting in general, or a newbie to CRH as those are different things.

Much like any other activity, you quit being a newbie when you are sufficiently knowledgable about the terminology and tricks of the trade. The amount of time required depends on the individual and how much effort they put into learning the information and then applying the information learned. As such, it is my opinion that it is much easier to graduate from newbie status for using TNet then it is for coin collecting in general.

OP
OP
apush

apush

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No term in the Oxford Dictionary (or the Merriam Webster), so, I take a stand and say "newby, rather than "newbie."

LOL :laughing9:

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
apush said:
No term in the Oxford Dictionary (or the Merriam Webster), so, I take a stand and say "newby, rather than "newbie."

LOL :laughing9:

newbie may or may not have made the dictionaries referenced but a google search for "newby" and "newbie" will give clear indication as to the commonly used spelling.

OP
OP
apush

apush

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, I will take a stand "as is." Google or no Google. :icon_sunny:

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
apush said:
Sorry, I will take a stand "as is." Google or no Google. :icon_sunny:

I was on my iphone with my last response while watching my son's baseball game and didn't really do a true search, but since you wanted to go one more round...

I take back my comment. "Newbie" IS in the Merriam-Webster dictionary. At least the online one....

I decided to even provide the link...
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/newbie

And just for the record "newby" is not. I'm just saying....

lol ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions